MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Got them ready to go into the incubator this afternoon.

133 of them.

Break down:
7 Polish/Turken cross. 4 green 3 brown. From another breeder with blood from my flock.
12 Green Egger Naked Neck from a breeder with some blood from my flock.
29 from Cinnamon rooster/ various hens.
22 from Golden Partridge rooster/ various hens
27 from Red Mottled rooster red and barred hens.
10 from Spangled Aloha over Mottled Partridge and Silver hens.
6 Green Egger Naked Neck my Flock from Blue Cream Partridge NN.
8 from Blue Cream Partridge NN rooster over a Black NN hen. Brown eggs.
12 from a Mottled Partridge rooster over various hens (3).

Wow that is a lot of eggs! So most of them are Naked Necks? Post photos of them when they hatch.

My meat birds got sniped last night! I "had to" order a bantam Cochin! So I hope that one arrives safely! It should get along with my Serama chicks!

First time incubating...put 18 eggs into a still air incubator yesterday (6 each of Ameracauna, Olive Egger, LF Cochin). Very nervous and some questions!

I didn't get the automatic egg turner, but now I want it. Would it be ok to get one today and put it in? Or will it disrupt things too much?
Also, and I posted this elsewhere, I'm struggling to keep the temp above 100 (read somewhere here it should be 102 in a still air). But then I read a cheat sheet about this particular incubator and I think it's not such a big deal in the first two days as it's stabilizing. But I think having the automatic egg turner would help? So much info on this site, but it's also very overwhelming. The woman who lent me the incubator, looked at me like I was insane when I said I had multiple thermometers. She said, 'it's just incubating eggs!' I'm hopeful that if she hatched successfully while not doing much, I will too by doing a little bit more!
WELCOME!!!

if you only set yesterday you should be ok setting them upright! heat sinks and wrapping it can help.....

HEAT SINKS/ Stones/Pebbles ADD THEM TO STYRO! post #43903

SEE link for tons of info! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

AND see if these help you out too!

HELPING OTHERS INCUBATION QUESTIONS w/answers post #85688

HUMIDITY Humidity is NOT a set number!

Its a tool to get the correct weight loss in the egg! post #7068 see Hatching Eggs 101

WHY do we need less humidity to get the best weight loss for colored hatching eggs during incubation? post #36320
KEEPING MOLD and BACTERIAL from growing in water WELLS during incubation post #1644
Humidity pumps DIY ETC post #79960
TIPS n TRICKS to raising humidity in incubators post #42512 Humidity pumps DIY ETC post #79960

here is pictures of chicks I assisted in hatch
3 brahmas, 2 wheaten marans and ameruacana. two were pipped and dying out, 3 no pips . I pipped them 2 were ready, 1 bled but but it back in bator for 12 hours and it got out of shell by its self.....

BRAHMA!!!!! YAYAYAYAA

Lockdown is tomorrow for me for 1/2 of my eggs. Gotta get the hatcher cleaned up today. I also get to candle my second set of eggs today. Day 7 already?!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Got them ready to go into the incubator this afternoon.

133 of them.

Break down:
7 Polish/Turken cross. 4 green 3 brown. From another breeder with blood from my flock.
12 Green Egger Naked Neck from a breeder with some blood from my flock.
29 from Cinnamon rooster/ various hens.
22 from Golden Partridge rooster/ various hens
27 from Red Mottled rooster red and barred hens.
10 from Spangled Aloha over Mottled Partridge and Silver hens.
6 Green Egger Naked Neck my Flock from Blue Cream Partridge NN.
8 from Blue Cream Partridge NN rooster over a Black NN hen. Brown eggs.
12 from a Mottled Partridge rooster over various hens (3).
Holy smokes!! you need visine lol

My meat birds got sniped last night! I "had to" order a bantam Cochin! So I hope that one arrives safely! It should get along with my Serama chicks!
AWESOME!!!!

Last edited:

There is always room for one more chick.
cool.png
I just got three LF Cochins the other day.

Back
Top Bottom