MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I tried to wait a couple more days to have a few more Silkie eggs to set but I couldn't do it! I just set 6 under my experimental incubator, the "Electric Hen". I have not done a full incubation with this incubator but I did start some eggs with it and finished them in another incubator because I needed the thermostat for my emu eggs. They all hatched, which is rare for my seramas so I am excited to try it with Silkie eggs.

It is a contact incubator, made to mimic a broody hen, so the eggs go under it rather than inside. I have a diy egg-o-meter that is at a steady temp just under 100 degrees.

EE chick is out! It looks dark gray or blackish, hard to tell :)
OE is out!
SA is pipped
AMF is pipped
and.............. GM green magnolia is pipped! that's 5/5!!!!
wee.gif
Yay!! Go chickies go

I have 3 turkey eggs left
How many did you start with! I hope these 3 hatch!!!!

As of right now I have 52 eggs cooking! 30 of them are due on mothers day!!!! The other 22 in 17-18 more days..... but maybe I have more babies to keep me busy. About ready to start moving the last group of 14 outside. Not sure how the girls are gonna like that. I'm starting intros tomorrow. Lol
I have a bunch I need to move outside. I have 43 hatching now, and another 67 definite ones hatching in 5 days, and another 40 or so hatching a week after that. I'm overrun. 25 or so are not mine, I'm hatching for someone else. Unfortunately their incubator I was using wasn't too friendly and 29 of her starting eggs appear to be infertile or early deaths.

Good luck with your 52!!!

Last edited:
I tried to wait a couple more days to have a few more Silkie eggs to set but I couldn't do it! I just set 6 under my experimental incubator, the "Electric Hen". I have not done a full incubation with this incubator but I did start some eggs with it and finished them in another incubator because I needed the thermostat for my emu eggs. They all hatched, which is rare for my seramas so I am excited to try it with Silkie eggs.

It is a contact incubator, made to mimic a broody hen, so the eggs go under it rather than inside. I have a diy egg-o-meter that is at a steady temp just under 100 degrees.

Looks interesting!! Keep us posted on how they do!!!!

can u pm me on how to make it

I am at the opposite end of the house from the incubators. I have the brooder right next to the hatching chicks. First two chicks hatched earlier today, and are dry and fluffy. Since the hatcher is SO crowded, I pulled them out and put them in the brooder. One of those babies is screaming so loudly, I think people 2 houses over can hear it. I shine a light in the brooder, it calms down. Turn off the light, it screeches. Are little chicks afraid of the dark?

Or, is it hearing the 2 zippers in the next 'bator over, and it's encouraging? I have 11 pips, 2 zips and 2 chicks so far. I should have lots of fluffy babies in the morning!!!

I am at the opposite end of the house from the incubators.  I have the brooder right next to the hatching chicks.  First two chicks hatched earlier today, and are dry and fluffy.  Since the hatcher is SO crowded, I pulled them out and put them in the brooder.  One of those babies is screaming so loudly, I think people 2 houses over can hear it.  I shine a light in the brooder, it calms down.  Turn off the light, it screeches.  Are little chicks afraid of the dark?

Or, is it hearing the 2 zippers in the next 'bator over, and it's encouraging?  I have 11 pips, 2 zips and 2 chicks so far.  I should have lots of fluffy babies in the morning!!!

I would think it would be quiet in the dark! I hope you get some sleep!

Splash ameraucana is out!
Green magnolia is out!
Easter egger is out!
Olive egger is out.. with a single comb?

Just waiting on you, ameriflower...

I have to go to bed! Been glued to the incubator

Back
Top Bottom