MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

well, my hatch is complete! (I have another 14 going into lockdown today due on Sunday - blue laced red wyandottes from my flock)

I won half a dozen eggs from the easter HAL contest from @MyPetChicken .....
intense color hatching eggs!

they sent me 7 instead of 6. so nice...

5 eggs made it to lockdown, and 2 were clears/never started developing.

all 5 hatched! Here they are!

This is the Olive Egger. He/she is all black with feathered legs and black shanks. I noticed that it has a single comb, which I know the pea comb gene is linked to the green shell gene. so maybe it is going to lay Marans type eggs? it does have some reddish copperish around it's face. what do you all think?

this is the easter egger! black with yellow on it's belly and chin, cute beard, pea comb and black shanks
love.gif

splash ameraucana - all white with greyish greenish legs, pea comb, cute beard
love.gif

ameriflower - strawberry blonde baby with pea comb and pink legs

green magnolia - auto-sexing, appears to be male! darn it... still a cutie anyway

group photo!

a huge thank you to MyPetChicken for supplying hatching eggs as a prize, this was incredibly fun for me and I loved seeing what surprises hatched out! I am really extremely happy with my 5/5 hatch rate on SHIPPED eggs too!

Adorable little fuzzlets! The Green magnolia is really pretty with that spot on it's head, too bad it's a cockerel. I agree with you, it looks like BCM was used to breed the OE (in fact it almost looks like a straight BCM). With the straight comb you probably will get brown eggs, but you never know. What color egg did it hatch out of?

Adorable little fuzzlets! The Green magnolia is really pretty with that spot on it's head, too bad it's a cockerel. I agree with you, it looks like BCM was used to breed the OE (in fact it almost looks like a straight BCM). With the straight comb you probably will get brown eggs, but you never know. What color egg did it hatch out of?
yeah, the head spot indicates male from what they have on their website
hit.gif

Green Magnolias - Auto-sexing green egg layers! Females will be darker at hatch, with no dot on their head. Males will be slightly lighter with big dots on the top of their heads.

that's what I'm thinking too! leaning towards BCM dominant and brown eggs (if it's a female). it DID hatch out of an olive egg though. it is the front left egg in the picture below.
I don't fully understand the genetics and how an olive egg could hatch a single comb/non green egg gene chick
idunno.gif

Absolutely. Welcome.

No! You may not! :p (kidding!)
Yes. You, MrLeeroy, I think Chaos18 and I all have hatches due Tuesday. Lock down is Saturday.

Tuesday is due day, so do I put them on lockdown Friday or Saturday? I'm a bit lost. Also with lockdown I remove the turner and leave the eggs alone? Just watch humidity?

Oops! See above.

Last edited:
Tuesday is due day, so do I put them on lockdown Friday or Saturday? I'm a bit lost. Also with lockdown I remove the turner and leave the eggs alone? Just watch humidity?

Set day = day 0
24hrs later = day 1

start lockdown on day 18...
if 5/10/16 = day 21
then 5/7/15 (Saturday) = day 18

for lockdown, you want to increase the humidity to about 60%.

remove the turner and lay the eggs on their side.
I like to candle the eggs and mark the air cells with a pencil. then, I lay the lowest part of the aircell (the dip) facing up. this is most likely where the chick will first pip through!

Back
Top Bottom