MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I am going to have to lock up my broody. That silly hen has somehow managed to acquire 9 more eggs! I took them from her last night. It was way more eggs than she could possibly sit on. Now, I am concerned that the developing eggs may have gotten cold in her attempts to hatch every egg she could get her feathers on.

On a bright note. All the duck eggs have finished hatching. And there are three new ducklings!! Yeah!! 2 girls and 1 boy!!
The Girls!!

The boy!!

Got up this morning and i have 2 pips. Day 19 and I'm at work now! Its going to be a long 13hrs. Before I get home! Oh my I'll be burning up the phone lines calling my daughter to check on them!

Ok. Hands down my BEST hatch ever!!!!!
I started with just shy of 6 dozen eggs. That's a mix of 11 duck, 7-8 EE mixes, 7 splash bantams, 12 of my questionable eggs regarding fertility and the rest were a frizzle/Cochin mix. I had about 15-18 clears including 6 of my ?? Eggs I put in to hatch with the ducks (next Friday) and only 5-6 that quite early. 2 eggs I tossed because they were rotten (one
1f4a3.png
1f4a5.png
blew up in my hand
1f616.png
) and only 1 looks to be a non hatch.

All in all I still have 6 ducks and ?? Eggs going strong and almost 40 chicks hatch!!!
Congratulations!

I am going to have to lock up my broody. That silly hen has somehow managed to acquire 9 more eggs! I took them from her last night. It was way more eggs than she could possibly sit on. Now, I am concerned that the developing eggs may have gotten cold in her attempts to hatch every egg she could get her feathers on.

On a bright note. All the duck eggs have finished hatching. And there are three new ducklings!! Yeah!! 2 girls and 1 boy!!
The Girls!!

The boy!!
Congratulations! Good luck with the broody hen!

Got up this morning and i have 2 pips. Day 19 and I'm at work now! Its going to be a long 13hrs. Before I get home! Oh my I'll be burning up the phone lines calling my daughter to check on them!

fl.gif

I'm 500+ posts behind but school is coming to an end for my bigger kids so trying to get summer plans ready so they aren't completely bored. And my 1 year old is trying to start the "terrible twos" early
1f602.png
so I'm way behind. But a quick little update. I set 14 eggs on May 1st. 7 white leghorns and 7 black sex links. They are with what I believe to be a Black Cooper Maran roo but I could be wrong. While doing a quick fertility check on day 5 all my black sex link eggs look to be fertile and growing. My leghorns are duds except 2 that look like they tried very minimum and stopped. Just a streak of a vein. I believe this is because of her age because I know the rooster is doing his job. I've seen him constantly getting her. My black sex link is just over a year old now. Is she still considered a pullet? Anyways today is day 6 so I will candle tomorrow and pull any that are duds. I let the leghorns sit for a few more days just in case but I'm not hopeful. I'm patiently waiting for my ducks to start laying and for my babies to get bigger so I will have RIR, RSL, and barred rock eggs.

I love white peafowl... So pretty! I have hatched India blue and black shoulder, such amazing birds!

I have two eggs right now from my Indian Blue hen. I will be putting a clutch in 4 days I have a Black Shoulder hen but I don't have a Black Shoulder male so I'm not incubating any of her eggs. I like to keep pure varieties the best I can. I do like splits but I like pure varieties so people don't get surprises when they're not expecting it.

I think I'll be putting in about 40 rhode island red x ee eggs in the next week.

May i ask, where do most of you get your fowl leg bands from? I want to order some but am not sure where the best place is. My local farm store only has size 9 and 11.

The Girls!!

The boy!!
Those ducklings are adorable! How do you now what gender they are? Did you vent sex them? I hope things go well with your broody.

It's lockdown day for me! All 13 have movement and look ready to get out of there.
1f609.png

Now I'm off to construct a brooder. Lord only knows where my last one ended up.
1f605.png

It's lockdown day for me! All 13 have movement and look ready to get out of there.
1f609.png

Now I'm off to construct a brooder. Lord only knows where my last one ended up.
1f605.png
its lock down for me too. Tonight will candle as I put them in the bottom of the dickie. I'll post varied and how many than.... Happy Hatching.... Everyone.....PS wish I lived where I could have peacocks. The turkeys are noise enough......

Back
Top Bottom