MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Congratulations on all the hatching!

Today is my day 21. I had a big event today so I have not hovered over my broody to listen for peeps, but when I tucked everyone in for the night I did note a half a shell that had been pushed out from under mama! There's at least one in there!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day so after church this Mom will be checking to see how many babies my chickie mom might have hidden under her feathers.

Night everyone!
celebrate.gif

I don't think so either..... Oh well. Hope I'll have better luck next time.
hit.gif

That crazy hen is out for blood!!
somad.gif
I finally moved her and the eggs into a separate space because she had a bunch more new eggs under her this evening. When I did she about tore the skin off my hands and managed to draw blood before I could get her head covered. She is in the same pen but has her own private space. She can see out if she wants too and they can see in, but they can't slip more eggs into her clutch. I go through all the trouble of giving her a private little broody-hen-condo and this is how she repays me. I hope that she doesn't freak out and attack the chicks when they start hatching. I may have to pull the chicks if she does go completely crazy.

Yipidee, 16 of my 18 eggs have hatched so far. The incubator was being overrun so we made the decision to open up and get the babies out of the brooder. We couldn't tell how many we had but I took 13 out (8 super blues, and 5 others, olive eggers, Ameraucanas and Easter eggers)) I was using wet sponges to try and keep the humidity up when we opened the bator. Plugged it back in and within fifteen minutes another was out then another and when I just checked there was a third in the incubator. Will see what they are when I take them out tomorrow.
Meanwhile the 8 super blues I hatched should be sex links and I see NO white spots on their heads. (Doing the happy chicken dance.)

Back
Top Bottom