MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Two of my newbies

I read an article on Muscovy egg incubation that says that number is meant as a wet bulb sort of thing and translates to 50ish% which the person said was high regardless, that 30-35% ("dry" incubatiob) was perfectly fine for ducks as long as air cells were monitored. So if you have good results at 40% then I'd say that's a safe number :)

That is a number I am much more comfortable with! Back down to the 40's! Thanks!

Nearing the end of the first 24 hours of lockdown! ! Air cells ok temp good humidity at 54%. The last 48 hours of this are the worst! !! I want my fluffy butts!!

Happy mothers day to all and congratulations on all the new babies.

3 eggs in incubator that I saved. Broody hen got up to care for her 1 chick. 1 of the eggs is pipped internally. the other 2 look like they have a week more to go. I put them in the bator with the turkey eggs due to hatch on thursday. Would it be ok to increase humidity in there until this little chick hatches? Any suggestions?

We have another broody sitting on 13 eggs. She is in her own inclosure.
Which eggs do you care about most?

WARNING: Cuteness overload!
Mama - White Phoenix

One

Two

three

four

five

six

seven

EIGHT!
wee.gif
Fluffy butted Cochin babies!

Two eggs still under but no pips or sounds. I'll give them another 24 hours.
woot.gif

@mlm Mike and @Sally Sunshine Update on my eggs for the May hatch-a-long - Things changed early for me because both of my eggs orders shipped within a week of each other. I set one of my orders and @Saris set the others for me. The eggs I set came from Papas Poultry. I ordered 10 eggs, he sent me 17 and on day 7 I only had 9 showing life. I left most of the others in and I will candle again tomorrow (day 10) before I pull any more out. The ones I am incubating are silver laced orpingtons, lavender cuckoo orpingtons and chocolate orpingtons. @Saris is incubating Barnevelders and Jubilee orpingtons for me from Northwoods Poultry. Have a great day :)
Good luck!

Hi guys sorry I'm late to the party. I could not catch up with the posts so I had to skip them. Time seems short these days. The incubator is full and locked down for two eggs that should be due today. Nothing so far no signs of life but I could clearly see veins in one last night. The other may have quit I'm not sure. After last weekend's disaster I'm not pulling any eggs to eggtopsy until a day or two after hatch.

In the mean time the rest of the incubator is full and I should have chicks hatching again in several days and into next weekend after that things calm down quite a bit.
Good luck!
fl.gif

17/18 Hatched yesterday through overnight. 17 are in the brooder and the 18th egg is pipped and we can hear the baby. We have 10 super blue egg layers, 2 olive eggers. 2 Easter eggers and 3 Ameraucanas.
And to make everything even better, the super blue egg layers are sex linked and they ALL look like girls. (Hmmmm, so does that mean that the other seven that are out are all boys?) I have noticed that although what I've hatched over the years probably totals close to 50/50, each individual hatch seems to have a preponderance of one sex or the other. I've done two all cockerel hatches. One with all girls, another with mostly girls and some with very few girls. Go figure.
celebrate.gif

#18 of 18 was just delivered by eggcerian section and is drying in the incubator until he can join his friends. Great hatch rate considering I was fighting with the humidity most of the incubation period.
woot.gif
eggcerian section
lau.gif

Grr!! Byc is buggy. Can't get onto it on my computer, and I've checked my computer 2 times for viruses and malware. Anyone else having issues? Also can no longer upload pics from phone.

On a brighter note I came home to 4 new babies instead of just 1. https://goo.gl/photos/DGn58tc6PHM4mANv7 here are two of them, posting link in protest to the system bugs.
Congratulations!

It's been a bit of a struggle to get humidity up, but I think we're golden now!

This was right after I pulled the turner, so excuse the low temp. It picked back up quite quickly.
Good luck!

Hello All! I have 36 eggs in the Bator right now. 6 Rouen duck eggs, 18 OE's, and 12 barnyard mix. My duck eggs are on day 6 and I just set my chicken eggs today. I've been running my humidity for the duck eggs at 75%+ but know from experience, my chicken eggs don't seem to hatch out as well with that high of humidity.
My last chicken hatch I stayed pretty consistent at 40% humidity until lockdown and had an 85% hatch rate.

What are your suggestions for humidity?

For chickens I use 35% , lock down 65%. Just watch Air cells if the are right size you are ok.

I just had a bit of fun. My geese are finally becoming more friendly. Just sat for 10 min just petting and loving on the geese.

Also my free eggs are on lockdown. And I just purchased a dozen barnevelder eggs, should be here mid week.just hoping no one else goes broody, I don't like worrying about wether or not she's gotten off to eat and drink during the heat, or of another hen trying to use her nest crushing the eggs...
The geese sound fun! Good luck with your hatch.

Ok, I am officially chicken crazy. Just ordered some Bielefelder eggs for my broody. She is a bantam Orpington so I don't know how many she can sit on but I thought I'd let her try.
woot.gif

today is hatch day! of 16, so far 14 have hatched.

2 more have pips, but they pipped late, so I'm giving them more time and leaving them in the incubator
fl.gif

here are some of the babies!
ya.gif

putting 16 more in the incubator today
yippiechickie.gif
Great hatch!

Two of my newbies

Awwwwww
love.gif

Nearing the end of the first 24 hours of lockdown! ! Air cells ok temp good humidity at 54%. The last 48 hours of this are the worst! !! I want my fluffy butts!!

Happy mothers day to all and congratulations on all the new babies.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom