MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

That crazy hen is out for blood!! :mad:  I finally moved her and the eggs into a separate space because she had a bunch more new eggs under her this evening. When I did she about tore the skin off my hands and managed to draw blood before I could get her head covered. She is in the same pen but has her own private space. She can see out if she wants too and they can see in, but they can't slip more eggs into her clutch. I go through all the trouble of giving her a private little broody-hen-condo and this is how she repays me. I hope that she doesn't freak out and attack the chicks when they start hatching. I may have to pull the chicks if she does go completely crazy. 

I am sorry you are going through this, but I am right there with you. :/

Broody #11 decided she was going to quit. It has been a week or so ( I have lost count of all of them). She had 3 dozen eggs under her! Well, I thought, I will deal with this in the morning. In the morning she decided she would sit again, so I moved her to where she couldn't get more eggs in my feed room with 3 other broodys. That's when she decided she didn't want to sit. We had some choice words and I told her she was just going to have to stay in that room whether she sat or not. When broody # 8 got up, she mistakenly got in #11's box on the return trip. #11 is running around squawking and my good eggs #8 had been sitting on are now broodiless. Eventually #11 gave up and sat on # 8's eggs. Poor #8 is going to have a longer sit now.
#4 hatched 5 chicks today that I can see and is still sitting.

#12 is a very good mom and when the queen hen decided to lay in her nest she laid down next to the box for her to finish. Instead, I drug Queen hen out by the tail and #12, who is bottom of the pecking order, got back on.
#13 is flirting with sitting, but has gotten up at night 2 days in a row. She is SFH and I actually would like for her to sit, but NO! :barnie

I may go completely crazy...:barnie
Had eggs still on the turner that are supposed to hatch tomorrow. I didn't know what day, besides Mother's Day, it was. :idunno Just got the ones that hatched on the 7th in a brooder today. I have no idea where I will put these. At least they didn't hatch with the turner still on.

Wow! And, I thought I had my hands full with one crazy broody. I am not sure I could keep track of all those broody hens.

lol.png

Well I will still definitely need to see about joining.
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom