MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

@sallysunshine Yes, I did really make him run for the caramel, ice cream, and pineapple, and it was sooo good!!!
love.gif

Last edited:
Seven quails out! Three more all the way zipped, just have to push out. Five more pipped! No chicken eggs pipped yet, but everyone except the welsummers and four meat bird crosses are in lockdown. More duck eggs coming Wednesday.
wee.gif

I took my little injured chick to the vet's office this morning (as they told me to last night, come at 7 in the morning), and the vet that sees chicks was not there and won't be there until this evening. ~sigh~ Frustrating. Poor little thing is so sad to watch.

Still eating and drinking and hopefully when I get off work and take her to vet AGAIN the chicken vet will actually be there. I read the pages on chicken leg issues/injuries and I just don't feel confident enough to diagnose what is wrong. She was fine one minute and then not able to use one leg. (Thanks Sally Sunshine for the links.)

I hope you can get help. It is so cute!
My Silkie eggs got here! Great packaging and none were damaged! Fast shipping as well with 4 extras!
Thank you
@Jessimom
Yeah! How exciting!

Seven quails out! Three more all the way zipped, just have to push out. Five more pipped! No chicken eggs pipped yet, but everyone except the welsummers and four meat bird crosses are in lockdown. More duck eggs coming Wednesday.
wee.gif

Good Luck!!

Quick question for you guys; when you're measuring brooder temp, are you taking the measurement from directly below the lamp?

I don't bother measuring temp they will tell you what they need, if they are huddled directly under to get as close as possible then lower the light, if they are at the edge of the brooder raise the light they are too hot, if they are running around they are comfortable.

Good morning all!!

Busy morning in all 3 incubators! 2 of the 4 eggs that I forgot to lock down have hatched, and 1 is pipped. The incuview (my eggs) has 5 babies with 2 zipping. The Brinsea (with Gotro17's eggs) there are 6 new chicks with 3 zipping.

Lots of pips! Should be a busy day. Today is day 21.

Welcome to all the new HAL members!

@Jessimom I tried staggered hatching once when a first time hatcher and haven't attempted since.. Well until the end of this month... I have 1 EE and was hoping she and the silky roo were getting along so every time I found one of her eggs.. I popped it in the incubator (most of them have the date written in pencil).. I should have waited and saved until I had 6 or 8.... So now I am going to have this crazy hatch at the end of the month with an egg here and there instead of 'eggs'... Words of wisdom or tips to help me out when the time comes?? It may end up that they aren't fertile and I am worrying about how to not mess it up more for nothing.

Counting down until lockdown ( i had thought wed but hatchabatch says Thur a.m.??) Hatch of a few runner ducks and hopefully 1 turkey due on Sat 14th.. Of course I won't be home to watch, will be away at graduation... that might be a good thing then I am not tempted to mess with them.
Following week am due for a friends and my chickens to hatch.. I had wanted to keep her and my eggs seperate but think I may have mixed a few up She gave me six silky eggs to hatch thsoe are easy enough to tell apart. ... Then after that I have some chicken eggs from Proverbs31mama and then some odds and ends of my EE eggs and 3 turkey eggs from my friend.

@Jessimom I tried staggered hatching once when a first time hatcher and haven't attempted since.. Well until the end of this month... I have 1 EE and was hoping she and the silky roo were getting along so every time I found one of her eggs.. I popped it in the incubator (most of them have the date written in pencil).. I should have waited and saved until I had 6 or 8.... So now I am going to have this crazy hatch at the end of the month with an egg here and there instead of 'eggs'... Words of wisdom or tips to help me out when the time comes?? It may end up that they aren't fertile and I am worrying about how to not mess it up more for nothing.
When I had less than 4 days between lock downs, I locked them all down together, and they all hatched. From what I have learned it doesn't hurt to lock down an egg at day 15 together with the day 16, day 17 and day 18 chicks. I don't think I'd go any earlier than that.

How many did you set and how many days apart?

Good luck with all of them!!!

So since i have a mix do uou think spot on head means male?

Here is the parent options
Roosters are: Sumatra,Crele Orp, , Langshan, mixed, Polish, Bantam welsummers

Hens: Welsummer, , Blue copper marans, cuckoo marans, EE and olive eggers, Bantam olive eggers, Langshan, games and mixes, polish, Ameracanu, ,Bantam welsummers,, light Brahma, .Rhode island red, leghorn. Some have tiny spot one has large white spot

Back
Top Bottom