MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Gotta start a FB group for the new pups, we start temps today!! she is due next week! I am way behind!! she is already digging in the whelpng box and I only got it set up last night!! DOH
Yayyy puppies!!
i want to get my puppy a puppy lol

Three separate incidents. Bar stool was wrestling with my brothers. Hammer was when I was little and hooked the back of my head with the claw. Pool was.....actually neither pool incident got stitches. First one was doing a back flip in the kiddie pool.....dumb idea. Second one I sliced open my eyebrow swimming underwater and hitting the steps. The second one bled......a lot.
I'm sure it did, especially if alcohol was involved, which when stupidity arises it usually is

Yayyy puppies!!
i want to get my puppy a puppy lol

I'm sure it did, especially if alcohol was involved, which when stupidity arises it usually is

Sadly alcohol was not involved in any of the incidents.
sad.png
I'm just naturally stupid.

Last edited:
I have two Silver Pencil Rocks now. I don't know what is going on with the other pip. I'm really hoping that I get at least one more chick. Obviously I hope for at least one girl. A pair is good too, but I can get a cockerel from someone else for free. I really need a pullet!

Ooh, those are so beautiful. Would love to have some. Hope you get some girls!

I can't believe how strong these Silkie embryos are in the eggs I got from @RubyNala97 ! We are on day 13 today, and the air cells look amazing, the chicks inside are strong, and things are going so well I keep looking for the other shoe to drop!! I received 16 eggs, broke one the first day (DON'T SAY IT!!) and one had a blood ring. So there are 14 eggs in the incubator right now, and they are all active in there!

Having trouble with temps in the Brinsea Octagon 20 though. I have 4 "accurate" thermometers in there and get 4 different readings. Two of the thermometers are bulb type, they have been calibrated using the ice water test (thanks for that link, BTW, whoever it was that gave it) and they are sometimes a degree different, even in the same spot in the incubator. The other two are digital and there's a full degree and a half difference. Now, I guess to folks who make thermometers, one degree doesn't mean diddly if folks are using them to decide between a long sleeved shirt or a short sleeved one, but it makes a world of difference to a developing embryo over 21 days. <sigh> And I know that incubators - even small ones like this one - have temperature variations within them so when I turn eggs I also switch their locations in the bator at least one time. Because I'm hand turning this group, the Brinsea is opened more than it was with the other two groups of eggs, and RubyNala suggested a slightly higher humidity for these so that makes the temp drop a bit too, I know. I just dread a late hatch with maybe some physical problems with the chicks.

I am absolutely determined that these eggs are going to make it all the way through. Katiebug is counting on Gramma giving her the Silkies!

Woke up this morning to a text. My friends order of chicks were all DOA when they got to the post office. So sad.

Then I went into my chick room and find this.....

They think I'm mommy. They huddle under my hand when I go in there.
1f60d.png

So cute! My kids taught our chicks to come running when we tap on the food dish, like mama calling the chicks for food.

I can't believe how strong these Silkie embryos are in the eggs I got from @RubyNala97 ! We are on day 13 today, and the air cells look amazing, the chicks inside are strong, and things are going so well I keep looking for the other shoe to drop!! I received 16 eggs, broke one the first day (DON'T SAY IT!!) and one had a blood ring. So there are 14 eggs in the incubator right now, and they are all active in there!

Having trouble with temps in the Brinsea Octagon 20 though. I have 4 "accurate" thermometers in there and get 4 different readings. Two of the thermometers are bulb type, they have been calibrated using the ice water test (thanks for that link, BTW, whoever it was that gave it) and they are sometimes a degree different, even in the same spot in the incubator. The other two are digital and there's a full degree and a half difference. Now, I guess to folks who make thermometers, one degree doesn't mean diddly if folks are using them to decide between a long sleeved shirt or a short sleeved one, but it makes a world of difference to a developing embryo over 21 days. <sigh> And I know that incubators - even small ones like this one - have temperature variations within them so when I turn eggs I also switch their locations in the bator at least one time. Because I'm hand turning this group, the Brinsea is opened more than it was with the other two groups of eggs, and RubyNala suggested a slightly higher humidity for these so that makes the temp drop a bit too, I know. I just dread a late hatch with maybe some physical problems with the chicks.

I am absolutely determined that these eggs are going to make it all the way through. Katiebug is counting on Gramma giving her the Silkies!
Good Luck Blooie!!!!!

You can do it!!!

Quote: lol I would love a puppy every four months

just try to keep ALL of them between 99.5 and 102 and you will do well, DONT let it run lower than 99.5 on any of them.... I run at 100.5 calibrated and known to go high on Legbar and large eggs marans to 101+

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom