MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Just in case someone can hear my concern.   Still no pip in my lonely egg.   :fl  

I'm there waiting with you @Cynthia12.

[COLOR=0000FF]My little silkie that was keeping me company all day finally hatched![/COLOR] Only one left. It is the one that I accidentally started to eggtopsy too soon. I broke the outer shell very carefully and then felt movement, so I quickly moistened the membrane, put another egg shell on top of the spot, and then put it back in. This was yesterday morning. This morning I made an air hole just to make sure it could breath, and I also helped it to internally pip. It seems to be doing fine. I am watching the veining very slowly becoming less and less, and it is breathing fine/hanging out. I hear occasional peeping from it too .I'm thinking it will probably be ready to hatch tomorrow. [COLOR=0000FF]Unfortunately I need to lock down my other eggs in this bator tonight, but they should be fine if I wait until tomorrow.  At least I hope so. Any thoughts on that?[/COLOR][COLOR=000080] [/COLOR]Just this one more chick to hatch. I wish I had my little Brinsea (from school) right now. Then I could put the last egg in there, and I could get this bator cleaned up and on lockdown with my next hatch. I have some other eggs that need to be set in their spots too. So it is all one big cycle.   

Doing my homework and checking on my chickie. :frow

:hugs :hugs

Quote:
Awwww, thanks. I have a young pullet cross from one of these and one of the purebred black Silkie roosters. What a looker!
But I'm not breeding these 6 Silkie sisters, I feel their line has issues. I set OEGB eggs under them.
I'm looking for a good home to give them and their previous offspring to; a home that wants just eggs/yard chickens/pets.

Quote:
you know, how simple things can be lmao, whodathunk livestock paint!! DOH!!!!
I tend to make easy things difficult all the time...
th.gif

gig.gif

Awwww, thanks. I have a young pullet cross from one of these and one of the purebred black Silkie roosters. What a looker!
But I'm not breeding these 6 Silkie sisters, I feel their line has issues. I set OEGB eggs under them.
I'm looking for a good home to give them and their previous offspring to; a home that wants just eggs/yard chickens/pets.

I tend to make easy things difficult all the time...
th.gif

gig.gif

Re the livestock paint... I've read about folks putting coloring on the chickens vent to see who's laying.. would this be used for that too?

edited to add sorry I have not been able to figure out how to make multiquote work so am missing the quote from the person who actually mentioned the paint I think.

Last edited:
I heard a faint cheep from one of the duck eggs in lockdown so a twist on Reba Mcintire song "Is there life out there" I am singing Yes there is life in there!!
lau.gif

Just in case someone can hear my concern. Still no pip in my lonely egg.
fl.gif

Hoping for the best for your egg Cynthia!!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Here's a pic for you.
Just like you said...my white hen with the black spots like yours had a baby who carried the same coloration.

White spotted pullet, mid February hatch. Pic taken yesterday. As a chick.

Her name's Cynthia...lol!

The "surprise" Brown Leghorns. I thought there were 10, but there are 11. One EE is out and 3 others are still rolling around the bator.

Very nice!!
love.gif

The "surprise" Brown Leghorns. I thought there were 10, but there are 11. One EE is out and 3 others are still rolling around the bator.
congrats!!

[COLOR=4B0082]Awwww, thanks. I have a young pullet cross from one of these and one of the purebred black Silkie roosters. What a looker![/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]But I'm not breeding these 6 Silkie sisters, I feel their line has issues. I set OEGB eggs under them.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]I'm looking for a good home to give them and their previous offspring to; a home that wants just eggs/yard chickens/pets.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]I tend to make easy things difficult all the time...:th [/COLOR]

:gig
I have no idea where u are but I would take them in a heartbeat!! I want bug eaters lol

We got our first baby Silkie from our own eggs just now
congrats!

We got our first baby Silkie from our own eggs just now
That's fantastic!!
woot.gif

Feels great doesn't it?

Quote:
The livestock paint dries pretty quickly so I don't think that would work to see who's laying. I've never tried it though.
My hens also stand pretty straight up when they lay...I don't think an egg hardly touches their feathers.
What I do is do work in the coop while they're laying so I can see who's laying what...lol!
And sometimes I just stand and watch. Nothing like standing there "waiting" for a chicken to lay an egg.
gig.gif

th.gif

I heard a faint cheep from one of the duck eggs in lockdown so a twist on Reba Mcintire song "Is there life out there" I am singing Yes there is life in there!!
lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Well, i had the boys and girls in separate brooders. Apparently they decided they were done with that. Woke up to all but three of the girls in the boys brooder. Three weeks old and already causing trouble.

Back
Top Bottom