MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

:drool
They are very beautiful.
Wait...silkie sized?! Oh, yes, I can do that...now, should I do that is a different story...

Eh, what the hell...are they a mellow breed? As in, will it be easy going with my serama?

I dunno if I would call them mellow, but they're not high strung. They got along fine with my silkies when I had them together. Just so you know, my GFF line birds are bigger than silkies, but they're not a large breed by any stretch. Average size is around five pounds.

HarmonyAnns Serama, her White ones and a roo that needed spurs clipped, I may mention he dont like me anymore lol
What do you use to trim them? Have one with a 3 inch long set but he so far stays away from Mom, Dad and Coty. Worried my hens will be bare soon.
Benny just shared this.... I was just using my dog toenail clippers n kwickstop REMOVING SPURS VIDEO EASY post #96862
Thank you! Hope our dog trimmer is big enough! Fester has 3 inch plus spurs. But he is a great rooster!

This is the chick that hatched this morning from the hatch due Tomorrow. s/he is facing me and that leg sticks out backwards.. splay leg?

2) this spring I have had one with leg issues from every chicken egg hatch... It is not from brooder flooring, hatching rate of leg issues I am assuming some genetic thing from one of my girls for it to keep happening??

I have a pip today! The other two eggs have done nothing. Today is day 21.

Woo Hoo go chickies...
jumpy.gif

My silki is sitting on 2 eggs she had another egg that hatched but died the same day today is technically day 25 but there was some confusion in the beginning due to her being in the nesting box where other hens were laying before I moved her as to what eggs were laid when before I makes them and low temps here in upstate NY so how long should I wait?? The eggs are def alive I did a float test yesterday

This is the chick that hatched this morning from the hatch due Tomorrow. s/he is facing me and that leg sticks out backwards.. splay leg? 2) this spring I have had one with leg issues from every chicken egg hatch... It is not from brooder flooring, hatching rate of leg issues I am assuming some genetic thing from one of my girls for it to keep happening??
I do notice the wire grate is uncovered, could some part of the leg be catching on the wire??

Last edited:

My 'biggest helpers' pause for a moment. Both have poop i have to clean, get into trouble often, follow me around everywhere...
Molly the dog does a good job keeping smaller predators away. Lucille is my little princess.

lau.gif
love.gif

Last picture taken of my chickens...

4 6-week-old chicks up on their favorite roost, seven feet up.
wow that far up!

Candled mine today (Day 14)...some look good, some look different from the ones that look good, so I just left everything in there! I don't really know what I'm doing!

I then realized that I'll be out all day on Day 18 and won't be back till late. So, can I candle them on Day 17 (late afternoon) and do the whole 'lockdown' thing then? Or will that be a problem?
you can get them ready for lockdown, just dont add water until you have to leave. NOTES LINKS & Informational POST LINKS - BackYard Chickens Community

So my husband and I are frantically trying to build a bantam coop (autocorrect put Batman lol) before we go to Seattle for the memorial day weekend so our house sitter doesn't have to deal worth garage chickens. Abt half way there. Will have to take pics.
YES pics please!!

I have a pip today! The other two eggs have done nothing. Today is day 21.
fl.gif

I have one Silkie out. It looks silvery/lavender with yellow wing tips and feet.... Can't wait till it's fluffy!! One black showgirl is almost hatched. One tiny Serama too, from a micro frizzle egg.

I have 3 silkies almost day 18. Duck eggs are sleeping.
yesss.gif
wee.gif

This is the chick that hatched this morning from the hatch due Tomorrow. s/he is facing me and that leg sticks out backwards.. splay leg?

2) this spring I have had one with leg issues from every chicken egg hatch... It is not from brooder flooring, hatching rate of leg issues I am assuming some genetic thing from one of my girls for it to keep happening??
can you put it into place easily? If so she should stay in hobbles for a few days, if not I cull them
good luck with her

ORTHOPEDIC & POULTRY PODIATRY links:

Treatments for Leg Problems in Chickens & other Poultry

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
CURLY TOES Spraddle Leg TENDON Leg ISSUES post #42573
DUCKS can have Spraddle leg too! post #15184 post #15355
BONES STICKING OUT legs freom BATOR Mesh! COVER IT B4 Lockdown!! post #67787
RED HOCKS, HIGH HUMIDITY post #464
Wry Neck post #60013

My silki is sitting on 2 eggs she had another egg that hatched but died the same day today is technically day 25 but there was some confusion in the beginning due to her being in the nesting box where other hens were laying before I moved her as to what eggs were laid when before I makes them and low temps here in upstate NY so how long should I wait?? The eggs are def alive I did a float test yesterday
I would say let her sit if she is and have a bator ready if she gets off of the eggs. or at least have a heat lamp and thermometer ready to go and set up in a container

Always mark eggs under hens and get other eggs daily thereafter, that should help timing next time!

Well, this morning just took a turn for the worse. Eggs under the broody hen were beginning to pip and eggs inside were beginning to pip. All was looking good until I got a smell of Mama's nest. She was trying to sit on the eggs while also trying to get as far away from the nest as possible. Apparently, one of the eggs was rotten and exploded all over the nest and the other eggs.
sickbyc.gif
Ants were already beginning to crawl all over the nest. Not good!!!

In a desperate effort to save as many of the hatching chicks as I could I snatched up all the remaining eggs, slipped some fake eggs under Mama Hen, and rushed them to the inside hatcher. After a quick wipe off with a dry paper towel and a quick candling the eggs went into the hatcher to finish hatching. Once they are hatched I will slip them back under Mama Hen.

th.gif

Back
Top Bottom