MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Well I fried the 20 eggs I put in the bator wed night. Apparently neglected to plug the incubator into the temp controller but went straight into the power strip. Spent the first 24 hours of incubation at around 130F. Broody is still sitting tight on the nest so I'm hopeful her hatch will go better than mine. Time to start collecting again for another batch.

Well I fried the 20 eggs I put in the bator wed night. Apparently neglected to plug the incubator into the temp controller but went straight into the power strip. Spent the first 24 hours of incubation at around 130F. Broody is still sitting tight on the nest so I'm hopeful her hatch will go better than mine. Time to start collecting again for another batch.
ep.gif
wow those eggs are probably cooked enough to eat. I'm sorry to hear you lost all the eggs, I hope you have better luck next time.

Candled again day 13 of our first hatch and pulled out the 6/24 that still looked infertile (3 Russian Orloffs, 2 French Black Copper Marans, 1 mix) plus one blood ring Russian Orloff. Cracked open in ziplocks, nothing but yolk in all 7, including the blood ring one.

13/24 alive with movement, 2 fertile Marans too dark to see much besides dark and light areas, one Lavender Orpington may have died :( will leave in till lockdown to see if there's growth. No veins and the embryo just rolls in the egg when I rotate it. Can see definite veining in all the others besides the Marans.

update on the incubator full of eggs that was due 5/19.... I have lost count but guessing over 25 hatched?

had 3 die during hatch.. Then this morning one hatched and one more is in process of hatching...
from this batch of eggs I culled over 25 eggs that were quitters at various stages.

The 6 silkies were early quitters, I am bummed about the silky eggs. Also had a couple of white eggs that neither of them made it. Oh well will have to go egg shopping for some more eggs to try when I get back from my weekend away with the girl scouts.

Still have a few odd EE eggs from my flock that I stuck in the incubator to test fertility from the new roo.. those are due over the course of next week along with another attempt at 3 turkey eggs from a friends flock. I am not giving up until I get some turkeys to hatch!

Candled again day 13 of our first hatch and pulled out the 6/24 that still looked infertile (3 Russian Orloffs, 2 French Black Copper Marans, 1 mix) plus one blood ring Russian Orloff. Cracked open in ziplocks, nothing but yolk in all 7, including the blood ring one.

13/24 alive with movement, 2 fertile Marans too dark to see much besides dark and light areas, one Lavender Orpington may have died
sad.png
will leave in till lockdown to see if there's growth. No veins and the embryo just rolls in the egg when I rotate it. Can see definite veining in all the others besides the Marans.
Congrats on the ones that are developing. Hopefully you get a good hatch out of them.

update on the incubator full of eggs that was due 5/19.... I have lost count but guessing over 25 hatched?

had 3 die during hatch.. Then this morning one hatched and one more is in process of hatching...
from this batch of eggs I culled over 25 eggs that were quitters at various stages.

The 6 silkies were early quitters, I am bummed about the silky eggs. Also had a couple of white eggs that neither of them made it. Oh well will have to go egg shopping for some more eggs to try when I get back from my weekend away with the girl scouts.

Still have a few odd EE eggs from my flock that I stuck in the incubator to test fertility from the new roo.. those are due over the course of next week along with another attempt at 3 turkey eggs from a friends flock. I am not giving up until I get some turkeys to hatch!

Congrats on the ones that hatched. Sorry to hear about the quitters and those that didn't make it. Egg shopping is always fun.

Congrats on the ones that are developing. Hopefully you get a good hatch out of them.

Thanks! Was so happy that all our daughter's "purple chickens" were doing so well, so sad to lose one, but we're hoping for 8-12 hens, so even if that one doesn't make it we're right on track. We may keep one rooster if we get a nice polite one, lol. The rest will go to the freezer. The breeder we got the purebreds from said the Orloffs do tend to have a much lower fertility rate so at least I know it's not my fault.

Back
Top Bottom