MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

We woke to find a few CLBs, BLRW, and OEs have hatched. All other eggs 20+ have pipped &/or begun to zip. Just as I was about to celebrate, I noticed the temp is 103 and one thermometer shows that the temp range in the past 24 hours has been 106-95! One chick is dead. The others are panting. We removed them quickly and gave them water. We wrapped the remaining eggs in cool, moist paper towels, and found that every one of them is fully developed, but DIS. I feel like a mass murderer. Bill looked like he was going to cry. I am sick to my stomach. Luckily Curtis (12 years) was allowed to stay up very late last night to watch a movie and wasn't up yet- he's very sensitive about our animals, but I guess we all are. I'm going to soak in the tub for a bit. My head hurts.
hit.gif

I'm so sorry to hear about your eggs.
hugs.gif

So glad you were able to save your live chicks!
thumbsup.gif

[COLOR=333333]So call me crazy, but I set 24 peafowl eggs last night and today I'm gonna set another 88. Many are older, so I doubt they'll hatch, but I'll set them just for grins.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]-Kathy[/COLOR]

What on EARTH are you going to do with them all if they all hatch?

Woke up this morning to hatched chicks, turkeys .
due today right on time.....
Kerns Amerucanas 11 out of 13 have hatched ( wish mine were that fertile)
3 turkeys of the eggs I found out side under the broody turkey hen after she hatched her chicks are hatching. one 5 days ago, 2 this morning, 2 not doing anything yet. I left them in the turner until pipped. Because I know they were particle started under the turkey.
2 NN 1 feathered neck out of the Brahma cross NN roo and my blue marans hen.
humidity was down to 20 percent but hatching like mad.
PS my turkey is laying again . 8 eggs so far. She sleeps on them at night with her chicks but I see her outside with her chicks in the daytime. It will be interesting to see if she hatches this clutch of egg....
.........................................................................................................................................
I have Broodies everywhere. in the one NN roo pen there is 2 marans blue hens sitting on I don't know how many eggs. LOTS of them.....
A black marans hen sitting on amerucana eggs (have to check them to see if they are any good. It horrible around here with Broodies or hens that want to set.....

Boy did I make a big mistake didn't get to the feed store yesterday ran out of chick starter. They are hungry and peeping up a storm. It doesn't open until 9. I am going outside.....
Congratulations on you chicks, poults, and broodies.

So call me crazy, but I set 24 peafowl eggs last night and today I'm gonna set another 88. Many are older, so I doubt they'll hatch, but I'll set them just for grins.

-Kathy
Good Luck!
fl.gif

Day 21 and I have 5 babies already! While taking out some chicks real quick and cleaning up egg shells I saw some stuff under a egg. So I checked that egg and he had pipped wrong side down and through the yolk. He was already gone before I noticed. 4 eggs left but haven't pipped but I did see movement. I think they are just a day behind because I put them in the next day after the others. Now on to the pictures!! They are a cross between a barnevelder roo and a black sex link hen so I guess they are backyard mutts?

Congratulations, sorry about the that pipped though its yolk.

We woke to find a few CLBs, BLRW, and OEs have hatched. All other eggs 20+ have pipped &/or begun to zip. Just as I was about to celebrate, I noticed the temp is 103 and one thermometer shows that the temp range in the past 24 hours has been 106-95! One chick is dead. The others are panting. We removed them quickly and gave them water. We wrapped the remaining eggs in cool, moist paper towels, and found that every one of them is fully developed, but DIS. I feel like a mass murderer. Bill looked like he was going to cry. I am sick to my stomach. Luckily Curtis (12 years) was allowed to stay up very late last night to watch a movie and wasn't up yet- he's very sensitive about our animals, but I guess we all are. I'm going to soak in the tub for a bit. My head hurts.
hit.gif

I'm so sorry.

Quote: Yes, don't toss too early.

Quote:
I candle my guinea eggs just like I do with the chickens, except like Pyxis says...they're harder to see than chicken eggs.
I haven't tossed any of the ones that have shown life, only if I was completely certain it was no good.
I candled mine last night due June 6 and all the ones I had put question marks on were moving fine.
So it was really good I hadn't chucked them out!

They're different than chicken eggs with how the embryo moves.
I don't care for incubating them....but I am looking forward to getting keets! Hopefully...
fl.gif

Good luck. I found them to be odd to candle too. Some seem to develop at different rates.

Lol...I just came in from candling the 4 guinea eggs that are under my last two broodies (I ended up not changing the eggs because I was going to be away when they were hatching) and I it looks like 3 of the 4 keets have internally pipped.
woot.gif

They're not due until Monday so this caught me off guard.
I'm not certain if the one egg is viable or if it's died.
Is Monday day 26 or 28? I hatched my first batch, first pip on day 25, hatched day 26, Then 4 pipped and Hatched Day 28, and one piped day 28 and hatched day 29.

I just got a batch of guinea eggs from a friend into the 'bator, but I'm pretty sure they were refrigerated for a few days. We shall wait and see what develops.
idunno.gif
Good Luck!

Just a quick update:

The last egg I was waiting on died. Opened it the next day.

The keets are pipping today.
Then the one broody hopped off the nest to go eat!
idunno.gif

And she was gone for a while.
Meanwhile her eggs are sitting there with big cracks in them out in the open...
th.gif

I didn't intervene...I want to see if she knows more than I think she does...lol!!
The guinea hen lays every day...and I've got more eggs, I guess.

I have 9 guinea eggs that are good and a few that are questionable.
I have 6 left of the blue egge layer, plus the 2 groups of started eggs...
and the guinea eggs I set today. So far anyway.
woot.gif
Good luck!

Wow, Mike! I can't even see any veining in my eggs!
bow.gif

To be honest I just find the guinea eggs weird...lol.
But that only makes me more determined to hatch more!
woot.gif

Monday would be day 28. That's good to know about the wide spread on hatching.
Thank you for the additional information.
I'm not knowledgeable at all about the guinea eggs other than what I'm experiencing right now.
idunno.gif

But I do have some exciting updates...

I'm certainly not a guinea expert, I have now hatched them once. From what I read they hatch in 26-28 days. My second batch went into lockdown today (day 24, I'll do day 23 from now on) and I found 2 have already pipped. Yes, I find them weird to candle too. Next time I will try to get candling pictures for the incubation notes.

I had to put down two chicks from the 16th hatch. One had a damaged hip and one was a failure to thrive.
Poor little guys. I have one more that's a failure to thrive, I keep hoping he'll catch on...

In happier news, here's what was waiting for me this morning...

I got a white keet!!!
woot.gif

(ok, or porcelain/icy,ivory/opaline etc...whichever it turns out to be...lol)

I knew the fellow I'd gotten them from had either pieds or whites once upon a time, but had went back to strictly pearl.
All the guineas he has are pearl in appearance.
But the female (and I think the male too) have variegated toes.
I was hoping it'd be an indication like black tongues in sheep.
So I've been quietly hoping for something wild to hatch!!
celebrate.gif

Now I just hope it's a female.
fl.gif

The hen did know what she was doing leaving the nest...lol
All the broodies are under a year old and this is their first time being broody.

I checked the last two guinea eggs. One's cracking!
woot.gif

Below is what they look like cracking out of the shell. Definitely different than a chick pip.
I think the second egg may be dead...but I'll be patient, especially with what Mike said earlier.
Thanks Mike!!

Sorry about the chicks you had to put down. Congratulations on the keets.

I'm certainly not a guinea expert, I have now hatched them once. From what I read they hatch in 26-28 days. My second batch went into lockdown today (day 24, I'll do day 23 from now on) and I found 2 have already pipped. Yes, I find them weird to candle too. Next time I will try to get candling pictures for the incubation notes.

If it would help, I've got a couple batches in right now and I could get some candling pictures for you.

Sally's puppies, born morning of 5/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine

Sorry all, but hello, dealing with flu bug lac of sleep and not a happy camper this week....

But here is what I have so far besides a headache and really sick belly

healthy momma and nine pups thank God its over now....

@Cynthia12
@Wickedchicken6

Back
Top Bottom