MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Fear not, 48 of them went into the Janoel, so I'll be lucky if any of those hatch. Squeezed 20 or so into the RCOM, so those might do a little better, though the middle is running warmer, so we'll see. Set so far, 137 pea eggs. Now I need to find broodies for the remaining 20, plus any they lay tonight. If I do end up with too many, I'm sure the feed store will buy them from me, or I can sell them on craigslist. -Kathy
Bring a few over to me :) they're one of my dreams to own especially the whites! But I love lots of the colors!
Sally's puppies, born morning of 5/19 [COLOR=333333]Quote:[/COLOR]
Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine Sorry all, but hello, dealing with flu bug lac of sleep and not a happy camper this week.... But here is what I have so far besides a headache and really sick belly healthy momma and nine pups thank God its over now....
@Cynthia12 @Wickedchicken6
Thanks for sharing!

Have a dozen or more mixed eggs(silkies, EE, slw, slw/Orpington mixes) in lockdown right now. Nothing from them yet. We discovered that the fan went out on our incubator and DH2B fixed it by Macgyver-ing a computer fan in, for right now but not before it looked the first two staggers of our last hatch... We did get three chicks last hatch but lost one that was hatched with wry neck for unknown reasons(it was responding to treatment well) also lost another little one that was still waiting for its navel to close. Ugh was a hard week in that way, but we got our chicks back from the kindergarten class that hatched them and they got 14/18 eggs!!! So we have 14 more fuzzy butts! So good to see all those littles after the last two weeks and the abysmal last stagger in the hatch. In the last two weeks we lost our lf rooster, a SLW/buff Orpington cockeral chick 6 weeks, a SLW hen, a salmon faverolles chick, the little one with wry neck, and the one that was almost out of the egg. We also almost lost another hen, and Isa Brown, that has been virtually plucked. So I'm excited to see the little ones start hatching in lockdown but they may be a little late due to the temp issues. At least they're much closer to the right air cell sizes though still a bit off.

I also dropped an egg this morning that isn't due to go into lockdown for two more days. Ugh I could've cried. It didn't break the membrane and I painted all the cracks with nail polish but it's pretty well cracked and dented on one side. It was one of those awful slow motion movements where you almost catch it like 4 times before watching it and hear the sickening crunch as it smashes on the counter. Uh oh. It fell maybe 8 inches it's just not my day. You can imagine after patching it up since then I've touched nothing.

We also have one of our silkie hens broody again she's on 5 eggs this time around and just last night decided she'd go crazy chicken and see if she could make me bleed! I didn't buy I am pretty peeved at her. DH2B is afraid of this hen when broody and last night he informed me she's been like that with him both times she's gone broody. Well thanks for telling me I just thought you were being a baby about her little pecks. Now I believe him that hen is nuts! Not sure I'll ever let her set again. This is her second chance as last time she began attacking chicks even her own chicks and had to be removed from them and placed back with the flock.

I can't promise but I *THINK* the egg that hatched today is a silkie/EE combo... I had the silkie roo in with the EE for a few days hoping they'd 'get along'... didn't have high hopes..but this chick looks to my inexperienced eye that they might have done something... LOL After s/he fluffs up and comes out of the incubator I will get a pic so I can get opinions.

Have a dozen or more mixed eggs(silkies, EE, slw, slw/Orpington mixes) in lockdown right now. Nothing from them yet. We discovered that the fan went out on our incubator and DH2B fixed it by Macgyver-ing a computer fan in, for right now but not before it looked the first two staggers of our last hatch... We did get three chicks last hatch but lost one that was hatched with wry neck for unknown reasons(it was responding to treatment well) also lost another little one that was still waiting for its navel to close. Ugh was a hard week in that way, but we got our chicks back from the kindergarten class that hatched them and they got 14/18 eggs!!! So we have 14 more fuzzy butts! So good to see all those littles after the last two weeks and the abysmal last stagger in the hatch. In the last two weeks we lost our lf rooster, a SLW/buff Orpington cockeral chick 6 weeks, a SLW hen, a salmon faverolles chick, the little one with wry neck, and the one that was almost out of the egg. We also almost lost another hen, and Isa Brown, that has been virtually plucked. So I'm excited to see the little ones start hatching in lockdown but they may be a little late due to the temp issues. At least they're much closer to the right air cell sizes though still a bit off.

I also dropped an egg this morning that isn't due to go into lockdown for two more days. Ugh I could've cried. It didn't break the membrane and I painted all the cracks with nail polish but it's pretty well cracked and dented on one side. It was one of those awful slow motion movements where you almost catch it like 4 times before watching it and hear the sickening crunch as it smashes on the counter. Uh oh. It fell maybe 8 inches it's just not my day. You can imagine after patching it up since then I've touched nothing.

We also have one of our silkie hens broody again she's on 5 eggs this time around and just last night decided she'd go crazy chicken and see if she could make me bleed! I didn't buy I am pretty peeved at her. DH2B is afraid of this hen when broody and last night he informed me she's been like that with him both times she's gone broody. Well thanks for telling me I just thought you were being a baby about her little pecks. Now I believe him that hen is nuts! Not sure I'll ever let her set again. This is her second chance as last time she began attacking chicks even her own chicks and had to be removed from them and placed back with the flock.

Don't give up on it! I did something similar, only I split the egg shell right around the middle accidentally with one of the bars in my Brinsea. Patched it with tape. It hatched just fine a few days later :)

My broody now has three chicks hatched. I'll be posting adorable fluffy chicks and momma pictures tomorrow. So far, she's being a really good mom, keeping them tucked right up under her.
wee.gif

I'm just hoping she's better at keeping her chicks with her than my last broody was.

My broody now has three chicks hatched. I'll be posting adorable fluffy chicks and momma pictures tomorrow. So far, she's being a really good mom, keeping them tucked right up under her.:weee
I'm just hoping she's better at keeping her chicks with her than my last broody was.

Congratulations! I hope she turns out to be a great mama hen. :celebrate

[COLOR=4B0082]I'm so sorry to hear about your eggs. :hugs [/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082]So glad you were able to save your live chicks! :thumbsup [/COLOR]

Thanks, a hot bath and chicken therapy, and I'm feeling much better. Sabrina the Sebastopol/crested goose got a new pen today, and Bill painted one of his yard sale finds and planted it with "hen & chicks" so we're all good here. (=

Thanks, a hot bath and chicken therapy, and I'm feeling much better. Sabrina the Sebastopol/crested goose got a new pen today, and Bill painted one of his yard sale finds and planted it with "hen & chicks" so we're all good here. (=

That's beautiful! Nice job on the painting.

Back
Top Bottom