MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

All ten of my broody's eggs are empty! :celebrate  That means, only one didn't survive hatching, and that was mostly due to the hen's curiosity. Gotta love a broody with a 90% hatch rate. Whether or not she'll be able to take care of them all is something I'll find out in a day or two. For now, I'm just happy they hatched.

Awesome! Hope all goes well for her raising them.

I had 2 Mille Fleurs born last night and this morning...the one last night is having problems standing and lays on her side and the other is trying to get up but not finding her feet. I had a polish born this am and he is already up and about??

Quote: Yes.

Don't think I posted a update here. Picked up some eggs sat to replace the ones I fried. 8 EE, and 3 dzn mixed color giant cochin. turner only holds 41 so total set was the 8 EE and 33 of the giant cochin. Broody is still sitting tight. Unfortunately she cracked 2 of the eggs she was on so that only leaves 2. One of the ones she cracked looked pretty close to hatch but I didn't catch it soon enough. Should be sometime soon but I forget when she started sitting.
Very nice, good luck!
fl.gif

Candled saturday night for day 7 and these were the results.

Day 7 candling results are as follows:
2 Bloodrings (1 CCL, 1 Sapphire)
4 Clears (1 Brahma, 1 OE, 1 Sapphire and 1 Red Leghorn/CCL)
1 Srambled with detached aircell (OE)
So started with 56 and down to 49 developing.
That's pretty good!
Out of 12 eggs on day 14, 5 questionable, probably clear, left in;7 showing veins, movement in most. Air cells growing...probably not enough...not surprising, given fluctuating RH from day 1

Is the rooster not covering all the hens? & is a good number to hatch,

The oldest hatched at 9pm CST last night and seems to be getting her feet but then she falls. The others were born at 5am and the polish is hobbling about a lil damp and the MF is still curles up but does attempt to stand he's still on the wetter side

The oldest hatched at 9pm CST last night and seems to be getting her feet but then she falls. The others were born at 5am and the polish is hobbling about a lil damp and the MF is still curles up but does attempt to stand he's still on the wetter side

Mike may have different advice but once they dry out and fluff I would recommend some of the electrolyte mix below.

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks
2 C. Water

2 TBL. Brown Sugar, honey or molasses

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
Mix until all dry ingredients dissolve & Keep refrigerated
You could also use electrolyte drinks Gatorade or Pedialyte, or
3 drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins)
Slowly drip along inner edge of lower beak.
How To Raise Baby Chicks

Back
Top Bottom