MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

crazy white polish

AGHH WANTS!! I had JUST gotten over polish fever!
rant.gif

I think I'm a bit funny in the head tonight!

AH! I know what my problem is! Lockdown fever- a rare, but deadly disease that causes extreme loonyness and random outbursts. Also common is thinking anything Baby with Featherlings is ADORABLE. Frequently happens while waiting for lockdown on eggs you really, REALLY want to hatch.

Last edited:
Okay, here are those guinea candling pictures I promised. Had to wait for them to be far enough along to actually see something! These are on Day 6. I also have a batch on Day 20 but the camera can't pick up the washed out veining on those.

Also, here is my special egg. We had an accident during early incubation, as you can see:

But if you look inside, you can see that all was not lost:

Hey y'all, I began incubation on May 25th, at 9 pm to hatch out a dozen Ameracauna x CCL (blue eggs), 14 FBCM (dark chocolate eggs), and 5 EE/BLRW x white rock (mint green eggs); and am I ever excited to see what hatches out!! Woot! Woot!! I bought the blue and dark chocolate eggs, and I raised the hen/roo of the green eggs (they are a couple of mutts). This will be the second hatch I've done in my life so far, and I'm pretty certain I've got "hatch fever"... LOL!!!

I don't believe that I'll be able to candle the FBCM eggs due to the intensity of dark color (5 to 7 scale). But, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be open to hearing what they are... :) Thanks in advance.

Well my OE roo may have got an extention on his life. Crystal, one of his girls has gone broody and I don't want to leave her with out a protector at night. I have him and his too girls roosting in a falling down shed while my replacement roo is with his girl in the coop. About a six weeks ago they tried to kill each other so they can't free range together. I fear if I move her to the coop it will break her broody vibe. Long John got slated for Freezer Camp when he jumped me 2 weeks ago for putting the sheep up from their grazing before feeding him and his ladies their grain first. (Which wouldn't work because the sheep would have just run over and gobbled up his grain.)

He embedded the full 2 inch length of one of his spurs into the calf of my leg and even got stuck there. I had to reach down and pull him out. He has been increasingly aggressive this year and I am done with him now. But since I really want Crystal to hatch these eggs he is getting a temporary reprieve. After they hatch I will take care of him and add Onyx to Yellowlegs pen and use half the Bantam pen for Crystal and her brood until she has the chicks grown enough. Then she can go to Yellowlegs pen.

I am really eggcited about these eggs. 5 of them are SP Bantam Wyandottes. 1 of them is Crystal (OE2) and Long John (OE1). One of them is Yellowlegs (OE2) and Tizzy (Sapphire), 1 is Pepper (SBEL) and Lord Argent (SPBW). I have a pullet from the Easter Hatch that is Sapphire/SPBW and she is such a pretty little thing though you can definitively tell she is quarter Leghorn. FLIGHTY! She screams like she is being murdered when I pick her up until I tuck her under my chin and talk to her for a bit.

Hey y'all, I began incubation on May 25th, at 9 pm to hatch out a dozen Ameracauna x CCL (blue eggs), 14 FBCM (dark chocolate eggs), and 5 EE/BLRW x white rock (mint green eggs); and am I ever excited to see what hatches out!! Woot! Woot!!  I bought the blue and dark chocolate eggs, and I raised the hen/roo of the green eggs (they are a couple of mutts). This will be the second hatch I've done in my life so far, and I'm pretty certain I've got "hatch fever"... LOL!!! 

I don't believe that I'll be able to candle the FBCM eggs due to the intensity of dark color (5 to 7 scale). But, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be open to hearing what they are... :)  Thanks in advance.

Welcome! Pretty avatar! :frow

Hey y'all, I began incubation on May 25th, at 9 pm to hatch out a dozen Ameracauna x CCL (blue eggs), 14 FBCM (dark chocolate eggs), and 5 EE/BLRW x white rock (mint green eggs); and am I ever excited to see what hatches out!! Woot! Woot!! I bought the blue and dark chocolate eggs, and I raised the hen/roo of the green eggs (they are a couple of mutts). This will be the second hatch I've done in my life so far, and I'm pretty certain I've got "hatch fever"... LOL!!!

I don't believe that I'll be able to candle the FBCM eggs due to the intensity of dark color (5 to 7 scale). But, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be open to hearing what they are... :) Thanks in advance.

There is a flashlight sold on EBay that produces 3000 lumens. Several people have bought it and can see into the dark eggs. I bought a 2000 lumen one of the same brand (CREE) but it can only show you the air cells not the veining. If you buy the rechargeable battery is purchased separate. It comes with it's charging station and 2 batteries. Don't get the flash and forget to purchase the batteries. And best of all it is only warm not hot.

Back
Top Bottom