MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Hey everyone! I have a quick question about this little duck egg. He's been pipped since yesterday early morning (6am). I noticed a line of pips this morning but nothing since. Is this suppose to be a zip? Or is it just making the pip bigger?

Eta-- he's very active and doesnt sound stress
I would just keep an eye on it, to me it looks like it is trying to zip, but a duck takes longer than a chicken to get from pip to zip, i think chaos said his duck took almost 2 days to get from pip to zip but zipping is like 90 minutes

dont quote me on this, i dont have ducks

@Chaos18 @Sally Sunshine @casportpony

Hey everyone! I have a quick question about this little duck egg. He's been pipped since yesterday early morning (6am). I noticed a line of pips this morning but nothing since. Is this suppose to be a zip? Or is it just making the pip bigger?

Eta-- he's very active and doesnt sound stress
If it's not stressed and it's still active I wouldn't worry about it for now. Ducks take a lot longer to hatch than chicks. My last group I had hatch took about 2 full days from pip to hatch. If the membrane is still moist looking than it should be able to hatch on its own.

If it's not stressed and it's still active I wouldn't worry about it for now. Ducks take a lot longer to hatch than chicks. My last group I had hatch took about 2 full days from pip to hatch. If the membrane is still moist looking than it should be able to hatch on its own.

Thanks! If I notice it is drying should I qtip wet it down and leave?

@Sally Sun Hi Sally
1f60a.png
I just wanted to tell you about my brahmas from the April HAL. You were right about the way a few of them are turning out. The light one is a splash and one of the dark chicks is turning out blue. Shows you what I know...haha.

how many other eggs are in there that you would risk this one for?
You may want to see if you can up the humidity another way

Honestly, I only have two left from my Rouen pair that I lost so these are really important to me. I left it alone and have left for 2 hours so hopefully I don't have to worry when I get back.

I had a total of four hatch. The fifth egg turned out to be an early quitter. Mom brought the kids off the nest late this morning, and has been teaching them the important things, like where to find the food and water. I love watching a broody with her babies.

Back
Top Bottom