MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

@mlm Mike

I pulled the unhatched eggs and cleaned the incubator this morning. The Lavender Orpington was fully developed, but dead and had not absorbed the yolk. The FBCM was about an inch and a half long, so must have died a while ago.

Doing a readback and saw this.

I also remember reading (somewhere on BYC) that somebody had a chicken or two killed by there pigs. Not sure what size the pigs were though.

I had a potbelly that I acquired as an older pig. Not tame at all and not sure he was 100% potbelly. He was guilty of eating chickens. Thought I was having predator issues till I caught him in the act. Was able to contain him once I knew but he got even more aggressive and when he turned on me it was time for him to go. He had about 2 inch tusk exposed and the back of them were like a razor. I couldn't figure out why he would charge to the side of me instead of straight on until I figured out the back of the tusk is the sharp part. Boot to the snout would stop him but I didn't want to risk it with the kids.

they eat those too right?  pot belly pigs? 

:lau

Yes people eat pot bellys just like other pigs. Mine was about 150 when we processed it.

Candled my staggered turkey eggs. All 5 are going strong! Tossed out another 2 cream Legbar eggs, now have 4 Marans and 11 cream Legbar eggs left, with lockdown happening this coming Thursday for 2 turkey eggs and the 15 chicken eggs. The other 3 turkey eggs are for a week later.

My chicks hatched! 9 out of 12 eggs so far. They hatched today!

I went to turn my eggs earlier and there was no heat in my cabinet incubator... I hope the eggs don't mind a long, cool cooling period! It was 73 degrees! Sometimes I think the universe doesn't want me to have a million silkies. I promise I won't keep them all!

I went to turn my eggs earlier and there was no heat in my cabinet incubator... I hope the eggs don't mind a long, cool cooling period! It was 73 degrees! Sometimes I think the universe doesn't want me to have a million silkies. I promise I won't keep them all!
Oh no, sorry on the temp, but ROFL that is funny!!
yuckyuck.gif

-Banti

Let us thank all brave service men and women for their bravery and sacrifice.

Let us also remember the wives, husbands, partners, children, siblings, parents and all extended families.

Back
Top Bottom