MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I came back to cull the chick and it was already dead
1f62d.png

Can anyone tell me why some of my eggs that I candled were almost nearly 50% aircell??? I drew lines on them like I read on the links about candling eggs in order to determine aircell activity (humidity range). I must admit that it was not done on day 7, however, it was done on day 4. Did I goof it up??? I didn't see any clear eggs at all!! I was glad to see that ;-) And the Marans candled quite well in a dark room. At least that was successful so I'm happy !!!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!!! I've been trying to keep up with reading. I'm loving seeing all the lovely babies!!
love.gif

My biggest news would be that my main rooster "Big Red" died this week, leaving a big hole to fill as far as breeding EEs. I have a couple other EE roosters that "may" be suitable but haven't been proven. They're also a different line than him. I'm hoping I find a suitable replacement from this last hatch of chicks from Big Red, hopefully in the black/blue color.

Above are the chicks from my May hatches; the broody hens, Big Red's hatch and the 3 guinea keets.
(Apparently several chicks are photo shy...
gig.gif
)

I "weaned" all the broody babies and stuck everyone together last week.

I've been surprised and very pleased with the robust nature of the guinea keets.
I was expecting them to be kind of...frail, I guess?
They caught on to everything so quickly and were so active that they were only a few days old when I amalgamated the chicks. I wouldn't usually do that.

Two of the OEGB chicks (cockerels) were aggressive with the rest of the chicks, so I plucked them back out and gave them back to the three Silkie moms.

I hatched 3 chicks last week (eggs laid under broodies) and am hatching eggs from my blue egg laying EE right now.
Once these chicks are done, that's it for me. We're supposed to get an excessive downpour of rain tonight.
I'm hoping the power stays on...lol.
fl.gif

Three chicks.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!!! I've been trying to keep up with reading. I'm loving seeing all the lovely babies!! :love My biggest news would be that my main rooster "Big Red" died this week, leaving a big hole to fill as far as breeding EEs. I have a couple other EE roosters that "may" be suitable but haven't been proven. They're also a different line than him. I'm hoping I find a suitable replacement from this last hatch of chicks from Big Red, hopefully in the black/blue color. Above are the chicks from my May hatches; the broody hens, Big Red's hatch and the 3 guinea keets. (Apparently several chicks are photo shy...:gig ) I "weaned" all the broody babies and stuck everyone together last week. I've been surprised and very pleased with the robust nature of the guinea keets. I was expecting them to be kind of...frail, I guess? They caught on to everything so quickly and were so active that they were only a few days old when I amalgamated the chicks. I wouldn't usually do that. Two of the OEGB chicks (cockerels) were aggressive with the rest of the chicks, so I plucked them back out and gave them back to the three Silkie moms. I hatched 3 chicks last week (eggs laid under broodies) and am hatching eggs from my blue egg laying EE right now. Once these chicks are done, that's it for me. We're supposed to get an excessive downpour of rain tonight. I'm hoping the power stays on...lol. :fl Three chicks.
R.I.P. Big Red Cute chicks!!

LL

This does look like a dark blue, with the yellow. It has a pea comb..so assuming an Easter Egger. Should be fun for you to watch this one's coloring come out. They change so much. Looks like it could be a splash.

ALL CONTESTS CLOSE TONIGHT

5/31/16

MIDNIGHT EST!!

WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED .....

ON OR BEFORE JUNE 12th

CONTESTS

w/ fantastic Prizes donated by…

i-kDcTPGfk1qTz7wqbYaWDF1SVWWLyDeZPfnT6Qq5WhIQQDYaFjgup8RJ1NafnbTG0JCGEDNCWpaTS7SrthAevspyg49BCYFZ6_ntlcBCR_Norca-Torkt_te3b1P2wJ-1QeZK0w

Remembering Our Fallen CLICK HERE

Random Drawing to be chosen from the stories.

If the winner doesn’t want a coop $250 MPC credit.

Poultry Shaming Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Show your Stripes! Patriotic Poultry CLICK HERE

Patriotic Party! Red, White & Blue Recipe/Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Shouldered Poultry Photo Contest! CLICK HERE

Poultry in Nature! Photo Contest CLICK HERE

Natural Eggs & Flowers Photo Contest! CLICK HERE

A FEW EXTRA CONTEST FROM OUR MEMBERS!

Head Shots Photo Contest! MAY HAL Members ONLY CLICK HERE

MAY "SHARE A LAUGH" CLICK HERE - Prizes are yet to be determined.

LL
This does look like a dark blue, with the yellow. It has a pea comb..so assuming an Easter Egger. Should be fun for you to watch this one's coloring come out. They change so much. Looks like it could be a splash.
Thanks! I'll update when he feathers out. Pretty sure he's a he. Gives me the stare down every time I look at him, lol. What about this one? From same flock, Ameracauna/Barred Rock/Australorp. She's yellow with a tint dark black spot on top of her head and a few dark smudges on her back that just make her look dirty :) Splash?

We've had so much fun this May. Our first chicken, salmon favorelle, went broody, so we gave her 5 chicks to adopt - they are doing great! Then another chicken went broody so a friend asked if we would hatch out some of her buckeye chicks. They hatched this past weekend - three buckeyes and two possible frizzles! We also had a third hen go broody, our austrolorp, so we gave her 13 eggs to hatch, a mix of chocolate orphington, chocolate cuckoo orpington, and bbs orpingtons! Two more weeks to go!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom