MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Final count for May left us up
14/18 chicks hatched by the kindergarten class
2/18 or so
20/24 by us after fixing our incubator fan
And 3/3

With a broody silkie on 5 eggs due in a couple more days.
And over 112 eggs in the home made coolerbator with another 18-25 or so in the styrobator.

We are also down a large fowl slw rooster, a slw hen and a SLW/buff orp mix cockeral chick, two speckled Sussex pullets(10 weeks) and a white Rock cockeral chick(ten weeks) and a buff silkie hen all because of predators. Had a chick hatch with wry neck that died and had two more chicks hatch and have to be humanely put down(one had intestines out, one somehow got into out added fan and had seeming internal injuries). We also lost a chick we purchased from failure to thrive and/or unknown causes, it was never quite right to be honest.

Ugh idk if I should cry or not. I'm grateful for all the chicks but it was a hard month with lots of loss and my buff silkie hit me the hardest, well her and the chicks. I'm looking up BC next month just has to be an improvement lol I hope were done with loss for a while.

Oh I also forgot May also saw us buying more chicks 6 to start with but when one died we went back and bought 5 more giving us ten total
3 salmon faverolles posed to be all pullets but I think one is a cockeral)
2 Delaware pullets
1 light Brahma pullet
1 cinnamon Queen pullet
1 golden comet pullet
1 cuckoo Marans pullet
1 EE pullet

Last edited:
Well after doing my research I realized that my humidity level was way too high for duck eggs
1f631.png
they went into the incubator at I'm guessing a week old and with too high levels for two days :/ arg! Levels are at around 55% now so im hoping I didn't royally goof up
1f62d.png

Can anyone tell me why some of my eggs that I candled were almost nearly 50% aircell??? I drew lines on them like I read on the links about candling eggs in order to determine aircell activity (humidity range). I must admit that it was not done on day 7, however, it was done on day 4. Did I goof it up??? I didn't see any clear eggs at all!! I was glad to see that ;-) And the Marans candled quite well in a dark room. At least that was successful so I'm happy !!!
Sally OR Mike:
I don't mean to be forward or rude, but I'm on this HAL because I'm a total newbie here and need help to understand the process of hatching and incubating eggs. My question above has sat on the board over 24-hours and I'm not sure anyone has yet to comment on what may or may not be happening with the air cells of my eggs. Is there any one who can please help me with my question?

I'm worried that some of my eggs candled with an air cell space of almost 50% ~ IS THAT BAD?

Sally OR Mike:
I don't mean to be forward or rude, but I'm on this HAL because I'm a total newbie here and need help to understand the process of hatching and incubating eggs. My question above has sat on the board over 24-hours and I'm not sure anyone has yet to comment on what may or may not be happening with the air cells of my eggs. Is there any one who can please help me with my question?

I'm worried that some of my eggs candled with an air cell space of almost 50% ~ IS THAT BAD?

Were these shipped eggs? Is it possible what you're seeing is a case of saddle air cells? If the air cells are truly taking up 50% of the egg then that's not good and an indicator of humidity being very low. What day are your eggs on? Can you post pictures of the air cells?

Were these shipped eggs? Is it possible what you're seeing is a case of saddle air cells? If the air cells are truly taking up 50% of the egg then that's not good and an indicator of humidity being very low. What day are your eggs on? Can you post pictures of the air cells?
Hi Pyxis;
Only half were shipped eggs, the marans. Is there a picture of a saddle air cell that I can look at to determine if my eggs are that type? Maybe I can look them up on You Tube?

That's why I asked, because it appears like a low-humidity issue, right? I candled them on day 4, because I had time to do it then. Tomorrow is day 7, and I will candle them again. I can try to post pictures from my phone, but no guarantees.

I'm so grateful that you responded to my plea for help. Thank you kindly; it means a lot to me ;-)

Hi Pyxis;
Only half were shipped eggs, the marans. Is there a picture of a saddle air cell that I can look at to determine if my eggs are that type? Maybe I can look them up on You Tube?

That's why I asked, because it appears like a low-humidity issue, right?  I candled them on day 4, because I had time to do it then. Tomorrow is day 7, and I will candle them again. I can try to post pictures from my phone, but no guarantees. 

I'm so grateful that you responded to my plea for help. Thank you kindly; it means a lot to me ;-)

No problem! Here's a saddle air cell, see how it comes down the side of the egg like that? http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/8/8e/186x400px-LL-8e524a4e_image.jpeg

It's not uncommon in shipped eggs, and you can still hatch them, you just need to be sure your humidity is on point. Weighing them is usually the best way to track moisture loss in eggs like that but yours are already started so unfortunately it's too late to do that. I'm betting what you are seeing is saddle shaped air cells and not really air cells taking up 50% of the egg, especially only on day 4 when you candled. It just would have been impossible for the eggs to have lost that much moisture that early in incubation.

Back
Top Bottom