MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Quote:

TAG HOW to keep typing after you @ someone! see:post #2469 post #1088

@ChexeeChick sorry I have been sick and then with the leaves coming in on the trees in the mountain here, I have barely any satellite signal, My tree trimming son is on vacation in Mexico with his lovely wife, so for now I must unfortunately deal with intermittent internet. Plus I have a day job believe it or not and it pays a little lol. Seriously though, keep in mind that just about everything I know is in that note section if you cant get a hold of me! See if the below post helps with the MAJOR points in incubation. And then that link to the notes here https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

INCUBATION QUESTIONS w/answers post #85688

HOW TO CANDLE EGGS post #40826
Candlers/ FLASHLIGHTS TO CANDLE DARK EGGS & Innovations SUGGESTIONS post #38996

Who all will be setting eggs in june, like me? 54 due to arrive the week of june 6th hatch day july 1 or 2nd I hope!
I am setting duck eggs from Chaos as well as mine own this week! And he will be setting too, and Mike has eggs set too!

It hatched and it looks yellowish so I am thinking it is going to be a white Silkie.
wee.gif
HS is gonna have to sell some of her whites lol!! although she lost the little little babies ughhh

A few of my broody chicks-I have way over 50 and more hatching!

yesss.gif

My dusappointing hatch. 7 Olive eggers, 3 CCL boys (2 sports) and 3 girls. 6 were DIS:'-( 2 or 3 were late quitters and 3 or 4 were fully formed, yolks absorbed. I have no idea what went wrong!! Temp stayed between 99.3-100.3, RH was a steady 65. I'm so sad!!

Awww dont be disappointed!!!
hugs.gif
look at those littles!! so sweet!! humidity was that high for the duration? you calibrated thermo and hygros? see link below
INCUBATION QUESTIONS w/answers post #85688

more pics

Final count for May left us up
14/18 chicks hatched by the kindergarten class
2/18 or so
20/24 by us after fixing our incubator fan
And 3/3

With a broody silkie on 5 eggs due in a couple more days.
And over 112 eggs in the home made coolerbator with another 18-25 or so in the styrobator.

We are also down a large fowl slw rooster, a slw hen and a SLW/buff orp mix cockeral chick, two speckled Sussex pullets(10 weeks) and a white Rock cockeral chick(ten weeks) and a buff silkie hen all because of predators. Had a chick hatch with wry neck that died and had two more chicks hatch and have to be humanely put down(one had intestines out, one somehow got into out added fan and had seeming internal injuries). We also lost a chick we purchased from failure to thrive and/or unknown causes, it was never quite right to be honest.

Ugh idk if I should cry or not. I'm grateful for all the chicks but it was a hard month with lots of loss and my buff silkie hit me the hardest, well her and the chicks. I'm looking up BC next month just has to be an improvement lol I hope were done with loss for a while.

Oh I also forgot May also saw us buying more chicks 6 to start with but when one died we went back and bought 5 more giving us ten total
3 salmon faverolles posed to be all pullets but I think one is a cockeral)
2 Delaware pullets
1 light Brahma pullet
1 cinnamon Queen pullet
1 golden comet pullet
1 cuckoo Marans pullet
1 EE pullet
no you should not cry Alissa!!
hugs.gif
I know you have been through some hard stuff, this is not worth tearing yer beautiful face sweets!!!!!
What is a cinny Queen by the way? got pics @chickendreams24

Quote:
clap.gif

Just set 3 Ayam Cemani eggs Sunday night! SO excited!
wee.gif
clap.gif

I have silkies hatching. Will try and get some sleep. Need to check on them around 2 in the morning..it's almost 12:30 now. Two are out and doing well. 4 more to go.
GO BABIES!!!!!! Pics when dry!! I lover yer babies!! @Cynthia12

Quote: I cant wait to see them!!! @sdubski dont forget us!!

Don't hold back.....tell us how you really feel!

I feel like size 72 font bold red....... But I don't wanna get yelled at! :lau

I took a video of my 3 ducklings in the pool today, I have to admit watching ducklings is quite addictive...

:thumbsup

Soon we will have you converted into a total Burd slave..... :cool:

Sally OR Mike:
I don't mean to be forward or rude, but I'm on this HAL because I'm a total newbie here and need help to understand the process of hatching and incubating eggs. My question above has sat on the board over 24-hours and I'm not sure anyone has yet to comment on what may or may not be happening with the air cells of my eggs. Is there any one who can please help me with my question?

I'm worried that some of my eggs candled with an air cell space of almost 50% ~ IS THAT BAD?

For the future, if ths problem comes up again, try quoting your post and saying "anyone have any idea on this?" Or similar. Quite often that catches the eye of most and usually, you will get an answer. I see it already got answered, so good luck!!
-Banti

Good Morning everyone!

Well, I candled last night and am happy to report that I was finally able to see some air cells and spider veining in my very dark olive eggs! Several have saddle air cells I think (my first time with shipped eggs), but I definitely saw veining in them.

Update for the hatch-a-long:

I set 9 eggs, had one infertile, and one blood ring, so I'm down to 7 eggs in the incubator: 5 olive eggers and 2 lavender orpingtons.

Due to hatch on June 11.

Good Morning everyone!

Well, I candled last night and am happy to report that I was finally able to see some air cells and spider veining in my very dark olive eggs! Several have saddle air cells I think (my first time with shipped eggs), but I definitely saw veining in them.

I set 9 eggs, had one infertile, and one blood ring, so I'm down to 7 eggs in the incubator: 5 olive eggers and 2 lavender orpingtons.

Due to hatch on June 11.
fl.gif

Good Morning everyone!

Due to hatch on June 11.
clap.gif

I have an over achiever, one if my 2.5 week olds is trying to crow.
lau.gif

more pics
congrats on the babies! Sorry for the losses :hugs

Final count for May left us up
14/18 chicks hatched by the kindergarten class
2/18 or so
20/24 by us after fixing our incubator fan
And 3/3

With a broody silkie on 5 eggs due in a couple more days.
And over 112 eggs in the home made coolerbator with another 18-25 or so in the styrobator.

We are also down a large fowl slw rooster, a slw hen and a SLW/buff orp mix cockeral chick, two speckled Sussex pullets(10 weeks) and a white Rock cockeral chick(ten weeks) and a buff silkie hen all because of predators. Had a chick hatch with wry neck that died and had two more chicks hatch and have to be humanely put down(one had intestines out, one somehow got into out added fan and had seeming internal injuries). We also lost a chick we purchased from failure to thrive and/or unknown causes, it was never quite right to be honest.

Ugh idk if I should cry or not. I'm grateful for all the chicks but it was a hard month with lots of loss and my buff silkie hit me the hardest, well her and the chicks. I'm looking up BC next month just has to be an improvement lol I hope were done with loss for a while.

Oh I also forgot May also saw us buying more chicks 6 to start with but when one died we went back and bought 5 more giving us ten total
3 salmon faverolles posed to be all pullets but I think one is a cockeral)
2 Delaware pullets
1 light Brahma pullet
1 cinnamon Queen pullet
1 golden comet pullet
1 cuckoo Marans pullet
1 EE pullet

I know how you feel! No need to cry! Think about the little ones that did make it!! :hugs

Oh, okay. That seems like a good idea. How do I tag them?

And thank you so much for replying to me. If you'll read my feed with Pyxis, it'll tell you what may have likely happened. Don't laugh too loud... LOL!! 
to tag on mobile you have to hit the @ button then type their name in the pop up box on a computer you type @and their username and it will go

I have an over achiever, one if my 2.5 week olds is trying to crow.
rofl!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom