MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Ok so interesting update on my rescued duck eggs! I candled them when I moved them into the incubator with 11 out of 13 showing veins and heartbeating blobs
1f602.png
, and guessed them at around a week or so old (this was Sunday).
Now last night I candled again and SURPRISE! one of the "duds" is now growing! Wee little veins and heart are there trying to catch up with the others lol! I guess it was one of the outer eggs in the nest and just didn't get the right temps to grow till the incubator? So now this poses a problem with hatching day doesn't it? Any suggestions?

Our smallest Russian Orloff, Svetlana has a watery eye this morning
sad.png
She was the one who pipped the wrong end of the egg and is almost a full day younger than the others. No goopy discharge or cloudiness, and she's not acting sick. Still eating, drinking, and grooming. I'm hoping it's just irritation. She does get pecked a lot being the smallest, so maybe she got pecked in the eye? We had some sterile lubricant eye ointment, so I put a dab on with a qtip. If she's not improving this afternoon, I'll get some antibiotic ointment at the feed store. Any other ideas? Don't really want to separate her since it doesn't seem contagious.

We did add a mirror to distract them from pecking her. It was a hit!

"Does this mirror make my cheeks look fat?"

That's so cute! She is so interested in the mirror!

Quote:
duc.gif
you ate them in one day didncha? lmao!!

Quote: YAY!!!!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

TURKEY HATCH-A-LONG 2016
anyone hatching turkeys after posting about them here go to this thread and post them
@Sally Sunshine not trying to steal the hatch along thing but this is just for turkeys Lol
thumbsup.gif
Awesome!! @dgibson0604 this was May HAL anyways silly! lol!!! we dont plan on another until possibly Halloween, good Luck everyone over there!

Girl? My son named her "Ida."
Ida!!!! cute!!! my guess girl too

:duc you ate them in one day didncha? lmao!!

YAY!!!!!!  :weee :weee :weee

Awesome!! @dgibson0604
this was May HAL anyways silly! lol!!!  we dont plan on another until possibly Halloween, good Luck everyone over there!

Ida!!!!  cute!!!  my guess girl too

Nope, I exercised great self control and they lasted a week. :lau

See? I can be good when I want to!

-Banti

Last edited:
Our smallest Russian Orloff, Svetlana has a watery eye this morning
sad.png
She was the one who pipped the wrong end of the egg and is almost a full day younger than the others. No goopy discharge or cloudiness, and she's not acting sick. Still eating, drinking, and grooming. I'm hoping it's just irritation. She does get pecked a lot being the smallest, so maybe she got pecked in the eye? We had some sterile lubricant eye ointment, so I put a dab on with a qtip. If she's not improving this afternoon, I'll get some antibiotic ointment at the feed store. Any other ideas? Don't really want to separate her since it doesn't seem contagious.

We did add a mirror to distract them from pecking her. It was a hit!

"Does this mirror make my cheeks look fat?"

awwwww I have no idea what to tell you about her

Seramas are the breed focus! I'm really happy about that
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

@Sally Sunshine
Did you see the pictures of Harmony's frizzles on the breed focus?

Seramas are the breed focus! I'm really happy about that
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

@Sally Sunshine
Did you see the pictures of Harmony's frizzles on the breed focus?

Sumi tagged me so I looked when the notification popped on my cell but I was half asleep and half blind lol will have to check it out later!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine

The INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come hatch, learn, Chat, Meet new Friends w/ host, Sally Sunshine thread is open for anyone that wants to hatch and hang with us now that we end out this HAL, we wont do any more HALS until perhaps Halloween, I need a break and I am sure Mike as well.... many of you already are over with us, but for those that are still hatching and want some help or hatch with head on over as well. I am always hatching something, I set below and I think my duck eggs from CHOAS just pulled in!!

I had three trays of eggs fall into the bator today, some are probably too old, procrastinated setting, have four dozen serama to set later tonight too.

[COLOR=008080]NAVELS She HATCHED! But what's with her butt?[/COLOR] post #25012 hope she is ok! oh no! do you think its temps is adjusting on you>? perhaps eves? that stinks they are so expensive to buy! you know I swear by my wafer thermostat cooler bators! lol I cant help with this, not sure if ducks can raise turkey, and they take longer than chicken so pick one or other is my guess?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine The INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come hatch, learn, Chat, Meet new Friends w/ host, Sally Sunshine thread is open for anyone that wants to hatch and hang with us now that we end out this HAL, we wont do any more HALS until perhaps Halloween, I need a break and I am sure Mike as well.... many of you already are over with us, but for those that are still hatching and want some help or hatch with head on over as well. I am always hatching something, I set below and I think my duck eggs from CHOAS just pulled in!! I had three trays of eggs fall into the bator today, some are probably too old, procrastinated setting, have four dozen serama to set later tonight too.
I though that mypetchicken (Alex) had mentioned possibly doing a giveaway or a hatch-a-long for the 4 of July or just July. Anyone heard anything about either? Also @Sally Sunshinewe are having a few issues with the humidity in our new coolerbator. The calibrated hygrometer reads about 50% with the lowest it's been down to 42%. We've added rice and aren't sure what else to do. Any suggestions? Have you had any trouble with the humidity in them? Our styrobator has been running about 28-34% which seems to work better for us here. Also Sally are those stunning blue eggs on the bottom shelf your cream legbars'?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom