Me Against Eggland's Best UPDATE #51

Quote:
I think the key is they are FED a vegetarian diet, not that they consume a vegetarian diet. A number of people here who sell there eggs to vegetarians will avoid feeding meat, but the hens are allowed all the bugs and worms they can get on their own.

Quote:
LOL They feed them vegetarians!!!!!!!!!
wink.png

I want to know too. I don't trust Eggland's best. There is no way they can compare to truly free-range farm fresh eggs.

Because Eggland's Best is comparing their eggs to other FACTORY BRAND EGGS.

They are NOT AND HAVE NEVER BEEN comparing their eggs to your personal backyard flock. Our eggs are not 'ordinary eggs'.

Where is everyone getting this idea???

Last edited:
Also, from Chow.com (and a TON of other sources...)

Does the Color of an Egg Yolk Indicate How Nutritious It Is?
By Roxanne Webber

The bottom line, says Marion Nestle, author of What to Eat and the Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University, is that “the color [of an egg yolk] doesn’t reflect the nutrient value in any significant way.”

Egg yolks range in color from pale yellow to deep orange. Richer-colored egg yolks are more likely to come from free-range hens, says Dr. Hilary Shallo Thesmar, director of food safety programs for the Egg Nutrition Center (ENC): Free-range hens have the opportunity to eat more pigmented foods, and the pigment is then transferred to the yolk. But the macronutrients (protein and fat) remain the same regardless of yolk color, Thesmar says. “However, there might be small changes in some of the micronutrients such as vitamin A and/or lutein.”

Nestle explains that the color of a yolk is due specifically to carotenoids, which are natural pigments found in some plants. Some carotenoids, like beta-carotene, have nutritional value (our bodies convert beta-carotene into vitamin A, for instance). But deeper-colored egg yolks only indicate the presence of carotenoids in general, says Nestle, not necessarily the presence of beta-carotene. And other carotenoids that might be present “may have antioxidant function, but they are not essential nutrients,” she says.

While the yolk is not an indicator of nutritive value, there is mounting evidence that true pasture-raised hens produce more nutritious eggs overall. The ENC, however, states that “free-range eggs do not differ from regular eggs in terms of nutritional value or cholesterol level.”

If the hen is fed a diet that includes yellow corn meal, marigolds or carotene, the egg yolk would have a deep yellow color.​

Last edited:
It is always "buyer beware" folks. Eggland is allowed a certain amount of license in describing their product.

Don't we all use a certain amount of license when we describe anything?
wink.png

In any case, I believe they feed flax to increase the omega 3's
That it is unlikely they are "pastured", as that is not the same as "free-ranged"
It is unlikely they able to scavenge much in the way of animal protein in such a situation
That the primary feed is probably vegetable based only

I feel Eggland's eggs are legitimately better than eggs from hens that haven't had the treatment stated above.

I believe a lot of quality is lost by their unavoidable processing and transportation requirements from farm to store. Eggland is faced with this same as any major producer.

Whereas we can run that just-laid-still-warm egg up to the house and fry it before it is cool if we want to.

Back
Top Bottom