Me Against Eggland's Best UPDATE #51

This is what i got back from Egglands Best

We appreciate your interest in learning more about Eggland's Best eggs and the ways they differ from other eggs.

We use the term "natural" to indicate that our hens are fed a diet that is free from antibiotics and also does not have any of the low-cost by-product ingredients that are commonly included in commercial poultry feed (animal fat, meat & bone meal, bakery waste, etc.). A very small percentage of the US population has access to eggs from backyard flocks. Eggland's Best offers products that are a significant improvement over the regular eggs that most people have available for purchase in their local supermarket. Since Eggland's Best eggs have nutritional claims, we have an obligation to maintain a very nutritionally consistent product throughout the year and in all regions of the country. Our product cannot have the seasonal nutrient variability that would be characteristic of eggs from backyard hens. We would not want to present the health risk to consumers that could be associated with eggs from hens that interact with wild birds. We vaccinate our hens against Salmonella to provide increased assurance of product safety.

If you could please provide some details regarding "Don't scramble like ours.", I would be glad to address that topic.

Re: "The whites of your eggs are yellow." The yellowish cast in egg albumen is due to the presence of riboflavin. Riboflavin is a vitamin that deposits in both the yolk and the albumen. Since we provide higher levels of nutrients in our hens' feed, the yellowish cast is evidence of the higher nutrient level. Fresher eggs also have more of a cloudy appearance, so cloudy and yellowish are positive things from a nutritional perspective. The yellowish tint from riboflavin is generally not visible in a cooked egg.

In comparison to regular store eggs, Eggland's Best eggs have 25% less saturated fat, at least 25% more lutein, 3 times more omega-3's, 10 times more vitamin E, immunization against Salmonella, 3rd-party animal care certification, mandatory compliance with the Food Marketing Institute's Safe Quality Food audit and certification program, mandatory veterinarian audits of all flocks and facilities, extensive retail audit program, USDA certified processing plants (not mandatory for most eggs), stricter grading and storage specifications. and other things that you can learn about at www.egglandsbest.com

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Bart T. Slaugh, PhD
Director of Quality Assurance
Eggland's Best, Inc.

We would not want to present the health risk to consumers that could be associated with eggs from hens that interact with wild birds. We vaccinate our hens against Salmonella to provide increased assurance of product safety.

Well, there ya go folks. Their eggs are better because they don't engage in risky behavior! We should all be ashamed of our dirty farm eggs.​

Last edited:
hu.gif
That doesn;t make any sense to me
lol.png

I don't think they are trying to be evil, it's just a big egg factory thing. The person who wrote back appears to think that backyard eggs are better. Not that I like the conditions in those places but I think some of you are being a little hard on them.

Ahhhh well.....I'd be more interested in the care and upkeep of their hens rather than the nutrition of the eggs. I already know as well as everyone on this site-that our backyard eggs are soooo much better!! Yay for us and our customers!! But, after seeing all the battery hens on youtube and such, I think I would rather fight for humane conditions. I'd love to be able to see the inside of their laying houses.
roll.png
Yeah, like that'll ever happen!!

Quote:
NOPE! It started in Asia where people live with their birds, their birds being ones that range freely. Only difference is their sanitation is not the same as here in these villages so they literally often share the same quarters as the birds. The mass hysteria is what caused mass slaughter of birds.

That said, if someone wants change, why argue with a company representative who is just doing their job to make a living?Change starts from the bottom. Convince the community that your eggs are best, and that if they can't raise them on their own, that they need to buy eggs from people that do. If they can't afford to do so, they'll have to make due otherwise. It's not cheap to raise healthy back yard birds, even if someone can afford to buy the space to do so.

Quote:
NOPE! It started in Asia where people live with their birds, their birds being ones that range freely.

I've heard both. Never sure who to believe. I know that diseases DO spread better in close quarters, though. And doesn't vitamin D (from sunshine) help with immunity?

Back
Top Bottom