Mealworm farming

This may be a silly question, but can you go fishing with meal worms instead of earth worms? Meal worms are a lot easier to catch. As a kid, my Dad always had us cut the worms in pieces to make them go further. But hey, I'm thinking with meal worms it could be one to a customer?

At the feed store I can get 25 pounds of wheat bran for $8 the 50 pound bag is cheaper per pound but I don't want 50 pounds at a time. The grocery store has small amounts available in jars and such but much more expensive per pound. So I get the 25 pound bag and microwave all of it in small batches and put it in a large feed container. Once they really start multiplying it is easy to start other bins. I run 4 bins. I never have enough for my chickens liking :) And I just start tilapia.....

How long do you recommend heating up the wheat bran to ensure all the little critters are dead?
Do I only have to do this once as long as I store it in a sealed container?

This may be a silly question, but can you go fishing with meal worms instead of earth worms? Meal worms are a lot easier to catch. As a kid, my Dad always had us cut the worms in pieces to make them go further. But hey, I'm thinking with meal worms it could be one to a customer?

I have used them before. They work good for Perch and Bluegill. For Catfish I put 4-5 on a hook. They are a whole lot cheaper than night crawlers thats for sure.

Nate

Last edited:
YES! The bait stores here sales them too. Trout really like them

I've had beetles for at least 2 months now, no meal worms! They are in a large black tote with 2 pans inside, one with a screen bottom sits on top of the other. They are in wheat bran. I give them potatoes, although I just switched to carrots. I keep my thermostat at 67, but it may be slightly cooler where they are. Is it just to cool for them?

Any help would be appriciated. I'm sure the answer is in this post somewhere, but with over 300 pages, I can't find it!

I started my colony back in November, I saw that someone else mentioned they started theirs in early January and had baby worms already, so I took a closer look.....and I have babies! I couldn't believe how tiny they are, it's amazing! I'm planning on screening the bottom of a bin so that they aren't staying in the same container as the beetles. Also, do the babies need to be fed when they are so tiny?

I got started with worms from the pet store, but they took over 3 months to turn into pupae. I bought some from amy here and they are going to town! I have over 2,000 & I have ordered another 2,000. I plan to freeze dry them for next winter and give them to friends. I have lots of beetles and pupae and I am waiting for babies! I have a four drawer system and 2 bins that I am using now. Mine really go for apples, pineapple and potatoes. This has just been the most fun!

Back
Top Bottom