Medicated non Medicated chick food. My variables

Scotty from BI

Songster
Aug 26, 2015
I have asked this question before and it is a difficult question to ask and answer, because every chicken coop, run, flock and owner is unique. Most answer in a generic way as to what most people should do. Some answer as their situation might dictate, many just speculate what they think is right without much knowledge or experience. But clearly everyone has an opinion.

So I will try to describe my situation and variables and ask, given what my situation is, what do you suggest. Medicated or not for one day old chicks?

This was asked in another thread and after answering, I decided- it was worthy of it's own thread.

Why oh why would you medicate??
Great question. Glad you asked. I don't want my babies to get sick with coccidiosis. I have been reading many, many, many, too many threads on Med vs un-Med. So many opinions and so many variables. This subject does interest me however, so I will tell you my thoughts. I have had two prior flocks of about 8 adult hens each in my coop and enclosed run over about 5 years. There are no adult chicks present so it will just be the new chicks. I am retired and my chicks keep me active. I would go out three times a day with a dog poop picker upper and scoop chicken poop every day. They perched at night over a pdz tray which I cleaned daily and I cleaned the shavings as best I could every day in the coop below the tray. I know that despite that, there will still be a good chance of cocci being present especially outside and even may have been brought in by the chicks. You can never clean everything. I am not phobic or paranoid. I would frequently pluck a stray poop bare handed for example.

Here's where I have a conflict. I would much rather feed organic non-med food, just because I think it is healthier. Mammals need thiamine for brain and growth development and that is restricted by the Amprolium in the medicated food. But it is much better and easier and safer to prevent a parasite that is supposedly everywhere than to diagnose and treat for a full blown incidence of it.

You can not go back once you decide so I don't want to make the wrong choice.

You can not go back once you decide so I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thinking that you "cannot go back once you make a choice", is not necessarily true. I keep a small flock of 8 chickens. I bought them as chicks ranging from 2 days to 1 week old, and they were on medicated feed when I purchased them. When I brought them home, I promptly switched them to non-medicated feed (not organic).

After I brought them home, I gave them active culture Greek yogurt for their digestive tract about once per week for four weeks. Since then, they get the yogurt about once month,plus veggie scraps when available. I must add that this small flock has about 1/2 half acre to range outside their coop. I clean the coop about once per week and put in fresh straw bedding. They have been healthy with no issues with the combination of good range and natural non- medicated feed.

Sounds like you have a more limited range, which may load up in time with cocci. I recall an old article from a 1950's publication that stated that the parasite load on chickens decreased greatly when the birds were able to forage on new ground. If you are concerned about any residual parasites in the old run, then perhaps you may be able to make a new run on unused soil? If that is not an option, you can switch to medicated feed if you run into problems.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response. I wish I had a half acre of free range. My run is closed but it is much larger than the minimums suggested in birds per sq ft. My coop is about 60 feet x about 6 feet for 8 hens. I throw power greens out to them every day and freeze dried bugs every day. The coop is about 16 feet long and 4 feet wide. I feel like the coop and run should be clean enough that the threat would be low and I will keep the brooder clean and dry, so I am leaning toward non-medicated.

But I do keep waffling back and forth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom