meds/water/food questions for injured roo

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
My injured roo has made it through the night. he is drinking the better part of two ml of vitamin electrolyte water every 1-2 hours. His eyes are open and he can move around and stand for short periods. He is no longer bleeding from his mouth. and it is clear and his eyes and nose are clear. He has had two normal poops today, with a lot of white, which I have heard is the pee. That gives me some hope. He can't lift his head much yet so I have been gently raising his head to feed him the water in a syringe.

Someone else suggested feeding him baby bird formula in a syringe. Does any one have a suggestion for how much how often? Should I continue the amount and frequency of his water consumption in addition to the food? or change it>

Last night I gave him a full cc of IM penicillin. Should I continue the high dosage for the next two days or should I knock it back to .5cc?

After he is able to raise his head up I think I will start him on watered down crumbles and then move slowly from there. Does this sound like it could work?

also do you think the temperature around 60 degrees is ok for him considering feathers or should I put a space heater in the room... He is in the bathroom in the tub on some towels and he is not strong enough to get out.

Last edited:
I am happy to hear your roo is doing better. Be careful giving him anything directly into his mouth, you don't want him to asparate it into his lungs..as far as the baby bird formula I can't tell you about that or the antibiotic, but I give you another bump and hopefully someone will be able to help you... Sure hope he feels better soon. I think while he's healing I'd keep him a little warmer than 60* just my 2cents.

Last edited:
Before I left today he was ok and I gave him some water. When I got back a couple of hours later I checked on him and he was a bit gurgley. I cleared his mouth with a nasal aspirator and he is breathing normally. I tried to feed him more water and some of the baby bird formula, but he didnt take in much. I think the paste was too much so I watered the mixture down more and will alternate the watered down formula and the vitamin electrolyte water. maybe I can get him enough calories and protein to heal more and gain strength. Because of his down turn in that couple hours I decided to give him another full cc of Pen G. Will see how he does tomorrow.

David carried him out to see the other chickens and he opened his eyes to look at them.

I'm so glad he's still hanging in there-he must be a tough little thing.
Hopefully he'll start eating on his own when he feels a bit better.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom