Meet my first flock!

Flixflaxnoob

Chirping
Jan 5, 2024
Pennsylvania
PXL_20240403_131024884.MP~2.jpg

Not the greatest picture.

From left to right: barred rock, white plymouth rock, buff orpington, silver laced wyandotte, and golden laced wyandotte.

They are about 3 weeks old now. Got them when they were about 10 days old. I decided on different breeds mainly to be able to tell them apart. It's been fun watching them grow and see their different personalities come to light.

Surprise! Surprise! The Orpington, who was supposed to be my "guaranteed" friendly hen, is I think the meanest of them. If I put my hand near her, she will aggressively peck my finger as if to tell me to back away. She is clunky though and entertaining to watch. Her attempts to perch when another chick is on a perch often results in both of them falling off.

The barred rock, so far, has been the friendliest and hasn't put up any fight to being picked up. She loves watching me work around the brooder and is usually the first to look up when she hears my voice. She has quickly become my favorite.

The white plymouth is/was the smallest of the bunch but may be in the running for alpha hen. She is super fast, was the loudest when being held, and is usually the first to explore something new in the brooder. She has been the only one to perch on the one swing shown I think because she is most agile when it comes to flying and landing on something. I have another larger perch that they all share.

The silver laced is quite skittish and seems as small as the white plymouth now. I was a little worried she wasn't growing as fast as the golden laced, but I still see her eating and drinking.

The golden laced doesn't like being held but she will perch onto my finger and stay for a while. Recently, she has been trying to escape the brooder.

This morning, I noticed some of them seem to be sizing each other up. One girl would run towards another and they would both stand tall and sometimes do a little peck at each other. I assume this is them determining their pecking order?

I am so looking forward to when we can spend time with them outside. They are starting to outgrow their brooder. Not to mention making that one corner of the kitchen super dusty!

they are all so adorable! I love white plymouth rocks, you can easily train them to come to you by making a kissy sound and giving them a treat when they come to you.
White plymouth rocks are likely to go broody and make great dedicated mamas! Here are my girls!
1712154936676.png

1712154964638.png

and my beloved little Vicky, silver laced wyandotte, who passed away.
1712155018531.png

they are all so adorable! I love white plymouth rocks, you can easily train them to come to you by making a kissy sound and giving them a treat when they come to you.
White plymouth rocks are likely to go broody and make great dedicated mamas! Here are my girls!
View attachment 3790247
View attachment 3790248

and my beloved little Vicky, silver laced wyandotte, who passed away.
View attachment 3790249
I gave them some mash for the first time in a while and they all came running for that. The white laced is still the most apprehensive about all of it. The white plymouth has the most aggressive peck! It actually hurt a little lol. I decided to feed them with a long spoon shortly after.

View attachment 3790225

From left to right: barred rock, white plymouth rock, buff orpington, silver laced wyandotte, and golden laced wyandotte.

They are about 3 weeks old now. Got them when they were about 10 days old. I decided on different breeds mainly to be able to tell them apart. It's been fun watching them grow and see their different personalities come to light.

Surprise! Surprise! The Orpington, who was supposed to be my "guaranteed" friendly hen, is I think the meanest of them. If I put my hand near her, she will aggressively peck my finger as if to tell me to back away. She is clunky though and entertaining to watch. Her attempts to perch when another chick is on a perch often results in both of them falling off.

The barred rock, so far, has been the friendliest and hasn't put up any fight to being picked up. She loves watching me work around the brooder and is usually the first to look up when she hears my voice. She has quickly become my favorite.

The white plymouth is/was the smallest of the bunch but may be in the running for alpha hen. She is super fast, was the loudest when being held, and is usually the first to explore something new in the brooder. She has been the only one to perch on the one swing shown I think because she is most agile when it comes to flying and landing on something. I have another larger perch that they all share.

The silver laced is quite skittish and seems as small as the white plymouth now. I was a little worried she wasn't growing as fast as the golden laced, but I still see her eating and drinking.

The golden laced doesn't like being held but she will perch onto my finger and stay for a while. Recently, she has been trying to escape the brooder.

This morning, I noticed some of them seem to be sizing each other up. One girl would run towards another and they would both stand tall and sometimes do a little peck at each other. I assume this is them determining their pecking order?

I am so looking forward to when we can spend time with them outside. They are starting to outgrow their brooder. Not to mention making that one corner of the kitchen super dusty!
Haha! I think I have two roosters in my flock, I already have an older roo, so I will probably be selling one of the little guys. They run at each other and flap their wings, they are so fun to watch. I can’t wait to see what my younger birds are, but I have to wait a little longer. Got 2 hen’s eggs that might hatch this weekend, and I’m hoping to hatch some quails next week!

Haha! I think I have two roosters in my flock, I already have an older roo, so I will probably be selling one of the little guys. They run at each other and flap their wings, they are so fun to watch. I can’t wait to see what my younger birds are, but I have to wait a little longer. Got 2 hen’s eggs that might hatch this weekend, and I’m hoping to hatch some quails next week!
I hope I don't have any roos. We're not allowed them where I am 😭

View attachment 3790225

Congrats! They're adorable.
If I put my hand near her, she will aggressively peck my finger as if to tell me to back away.
Sometimes they do that out of curiosity. I have some super friendly hens who adore pecking at my nail polish or any spots on my skin :rolleyes:

Surprise! Surprise! The Orpington, who was supposed to be my "guaranteed" friendly hen, is I think the meanest of them. The golden laced doesn't like being held but she will perch onto my finger and stay for a while. Recently, she has been trying to escape the brooder.
Yeah, Orpington's are generally very friendly. I've had 3. Two have been very nice and friendly, but one has been quite skittish. Chickens breeds may have common traits, but they are still individuals so some will deviate significantly.

Likewise, I have 3 barred rocks- 1 friendly, 1 super friendly (always the first to run up and want attention) and one skittish.

And yes, that is early pecking order behavior.

I gave them some mash for the first time in a while and they all came running for that. The white laced is still the most apprehensive about all of it. The white plymouth has the most aggressive peck! It actually hurt a little lol. I decided to feed them with a long spoon shortly after.
Oh no bad girl!

Back
Top Bottom