Meet the Windsors

puddleglumWI

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Eastern WI - almost to the Lake
I got six Cream Legbar pullets that are a week old on Sunday from a breeder about an hour from me. Since Legbars are an english breed, I am calling them, collectively, "The Windsors".

IMG_E0567.JPG

They are eating like pigs, drinking like ladies, and shoving each other around like barflies under the heat plate, with an occasional romping chase about the brooder. One case of pasty butt taken care of, and so far no new cases.

I started on the chicken tractor on Sunday evening, and figured out the saw I have won't really do the angled cuts I need it to. So I made a new plan for cutting the framing, planned to start last night, and then got caught up in other errands. It is gonna get cold and rain right when I get off work tonight, and is gonna be crummy weather for a few days again. Luckily, I have a cousin with a heated wood shop, who also is a chicken keeper and loves to tell me what I am doing wrong, which is fine, if I get to use his shop. Also luckily, I have a few weeks to complete the tractor.

Since they are "The Windsors" and the tractor is going to be mobile, I am going to call the chicken tractor "The Cluckingham Express"

The Legbars are starting to grow in their crests, which look like little mohawks at the moment. I guess they are in that awkward and rebellious pre-teen phase.

I worry I may find them in the brooder with beak-rings and listening to The Sex Pistols, and other British punk rock.

Back
Top Bottom