Meet Thelma and Louise **PIC HEAVY**

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
After the losses of Loosey and Ethel over the winter, and Soupie's tragic demise Wednesday, I knew that if I waited, I would most likely decide against getting any more chickens. I was seriously considering it, and knew it was now or never. So yesterday, I called a man from the Hawkeye trader about RIR hens.

Well, when I picked them up, I found out their beaks had been trimmed, Louise's is shorter than Thelma's.
sad.png
I was saddened. I don't know the conditions they came from, as we met in town. But, I made up my mind I would give them a happy home
smile.png
So, here they are: Thelma is the darker one, Louise is lighter with a shorter beak.

29831_img_0586.jpg

29831_img_0589.jpg

29831_img_0592.jpg

29831_img_0587.jpg

29831_img_0590.jpg

Oh yea, and I'm pretty sure they're not RIR's
roll.png
Oh well, there goes my thoughs of having a broody someday...

ETA: I did not qyatintine because the rooster is going on a road trip Thursday to DB's house.

Last edited:
Well, looks like they'll have a wonderful life with you. At least you can tell them apart...(have to find the bright side somewhere). They're still very cute and will hopefully be some good layers to boot!!

Congratulations, Iowa! They're beautiful!

I've had RIR's too and never had a broody. They're a production breed that was purposely selected against broodiness, so I don't think the chances were high that they would've gone broody on you. What you need is a few banty hens, especially Silkies, and you'll have more broodies than you know what to do with!

Quote:
I bought 2 white leghorn pullets from a hatchery in Northern Virginia and in the year I'd had them, I didn't see any noticeable growth in their beaks. So, I'd venture a guess that they won't grow back. The good news is that it didn't slow them down, they ate fine and even foraged well while free-ranging.

Back
Top Bottom