Metacam dosage question

Novicechickenowner

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2021
Hey! Has anyone given metacam to their chickens? One of ours seems to have egg yolk peritonitis, and the vet prescribed metacam oral susp 1.5mg and and antibiotics. She instructed I give 2 ml of the metacam once daily. Does that seem high? The chicken weighed 5lb at the appointment and is probably up because of the extra fluid in her abdomen. I was feeling nervous after reading another forum about metacam and seeing significantly smaller dosage recommendations. Does anyone else have experience with this drug and their chickens?

Hey! Has anyone given metacam to their chickens? One of ours seems to have egg yolk peritonitis, and the vet prescribed metacam oral susp 1.5mg and and antibiotics. She instructed I give 2 ml of the metacam once daily. Does that seem high? The chicken weighed 5lb at the appointment and is probably up because of the extra fluid in her abdomen. I was feeling nervous after reading another forum about metacam and seeing significantly smaller dosage recommendations. Does anyone else have experience with this drug and their chickens?
I used it with several of my ducks and it made a clear difference. They were in severe pain and the metacam helped a lot.
That sounds about right to me.
@casportpony ?
Good luck with your hen!

meloxicam_7.png
meloxicam_6.png

meloxicam_2.png

Thank you so much for sharing this! I’m worried the doctor meant to write 0.2 instead of 2, and of course I already gave my chicken one dose earlier today. :( I called to double check that the dosage was correct and a secretary confirmed it was, but I’ll try to actually talk to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully she hasn’t overdosed. Thanks again for your quick response and the information you shared!

Back
Top Bottom