Pics

Tram

Songster
5 Years
Jan 8, 2019
Marion, TX
My Coop
My Coop
I ordered a 10x20 utility shed as wood here is Hill Country Texas doesn't last very long. Not sure why I didn't cruise the forums before making the order as it has been months since I joined. I found one post were people recommend the three sided metal coup in Texas due to the heat issue. So it isn't to late to have the inside wall removed.
If not, then I can spray foam the ceiling and walls, then wrap plywood around the inside so they don't peck at it.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 242
For my own curiosity would that be ok in our weird Texas winters also? I’d love to build an open sided coop or convert part of a loafing shed into one, but I was always afraid it would be too cold if it was cold/rainy/windy.

For my own curiosity would that be ok in our weird Texas winters also? I’d love to build an open sided coop or convert part of a loafing shed into one, but I was always afraid it would be too cold if it was cold/rainy/windy.
I grew up in Texas... still have family there...

The coops they had were always big on wire.

Texas Hill country area, and further west...

My grandmother's coop had the front wall only wire, protected by a deep eve/porch (so the metal feeder could hang on that roofed/protected porch area), the other 3 sides were bottom half solid, top half wire.

Super deep eves.

She did have shutters to cover up the 1/2 wire walls, but nothing to cover up the front full wire wall.

My baby sister built a coop of similar design, but skipped the shutters. If it blows crazy sideways her chickens get off the perches and hunker down on the floor sheltered by the walls.

So yes, both designs have the breeze right at perch height.

My great aunt had a very simple rectangle with a HUGE eve over 1 of the long sides... that side was only wire.... other 3 sides solid. Her coop was always hotter, her chickens weren't as happy.

I haven't spent much time on that part of Texas, bit I'm wondering if you could to a 2 side shed for summer and cover it up in winter. I remember someone had a set up like that and stacked hay bales on the windward side in winter. Someone in a different climate did heavy duty canvas.

I don't know from experience. Just relaying what I've seen elsewhere.

I ordered a 10x20 utility shed as wood here is Hill Country Texas doesn't last very long. Not sure why I didn't cruise the forums before making the order as it has been months since I joined. I found one post were people recommend the three sided metal coup in Texas due to the heat issue. So it isn't to late to have the inside wall removed.
If not, then I can spray foam the ceiling and walls, then wrap plywood around the inside so they don't peck at it.
Thoughts?
I’d remove the inside wall. Also, make sure to position the shed so it will provide maximize shade for the birds during the afternoon sun. To save some cash, just position the roosts low enough (3’) that the chickens can’t reach the ceiling. Same can be done for the upper half of the walls. That will save you a few sheets of plywood. The lower half of the walls will definitely need the plywood though.

Dry chickens that are out of the wind don't have a problem with cold.

Heat is a much bigger problem. :)

What are your summer highs and winter lows like?
Winter lows normally around 20-30 but that’s only a couple days here and there. Average temp is about 40s. ( but we have had years where all winter was 20-30) summer highs normally hit about 105 and on bad days as high as 110-112

Back
Top Bottom