Meyer Hatchery - Sapphire Jewel

Jun 28, 2021
Broadview MT
I am trying to figure out the genetics behind the sapphire jewel from Meyer's hatchery. It is a hybrid chicken they have worked hard on to have a blue layer who lays 300 blue eggs a year and all look similar, white birds with some black speckles. I just bought some cockerels and pullets. What I am wondering, if I breed them together do I get the same breed as offspring? I am trying to plan out a breeding pen to hopefully be able to breed them back to each other to continue to get the same birds or relatively the same birds.

Thanks!

They’re probably some sort of Easter egger x leghorn or ameraucana x leghorn cross. Could be first generation or a few generations in. You will get birds that look relatively the same from the offspring, though fewer similar ones if they are a first generation cross. Their coloring could be heterozygous dominant white (aka paint) which doesn’t breed true, so you could get whites, blacks, and paints from this cross.

They’re probably some sort of Easter egger x leghorn or ameraucana x leghorn cross. Could be first generation or a few generations in. You will get birds that look relatively the same from the offspring, though fewer similar ones if they are a first generation cross. Their coloring could be heterozygous dominant white (aka paint) which doesn’t breed true, so you could get whites, blacks, and paints from this cross.

**that's what I'm thinking as well, in not sure if these are F1 birds or like an f4. I guess I'll hatch out any once they're laying and see what I get.

Thanks!
**that's what I'm thinking as well, in not sure if these are F1 birds or like an f4. I guess I'll hatch out any once they're laying and see what I get.

If you don't want to wait to see if their offspring lays blue eggs, you can get them tested for $15-20 a bird to see if they're homozygous or heterozygous for blue egg genes. If they are homozygous, and they look similar, the odds are good that you'll get at least a percentage of offspring that looks like that parent stock and lays blue eggs.

If you don't want to wait to see if their offspring lays blue eggs, you can get them tested for $15-20 a bird to see if they're homozygous or heterozygous for blue egg genes. If they are homozygous, and they look similar, the odds are good that you'll get at least a percentage of offspring that looks like that parent stock and lays blue eggs.
I plan on testing at least the cockerels of the offspring to see what they carry. I only want to keep the homozygous birds. Although the pullets can lay blue but only be heterozygous as well. It most likely will be an expensive venture for a few years to get what I am looking for out of them.

I plan on testing at least the cockerels of the offspring to see what they carry. I only want to keep the homozygous birds. Although the pullets can lay blue but only be heterozygous as well. It most likely will be an expensive venture for a few years to get what I am looking for out of them.
I would test your cock that you want to use now as well as a random selection of hens. Drop $100 bucks on it before raising out a generation and spending far more?

I ordered eggs on line from a lady in OH, one of the eggs that hatched was this hen...
4k.PNG

She was an Ayam Cemani/austra white...
her egg below, was gray.
bilac.PNG

She laid well until went went broody.
I would guess hen wise they may have bred An Austrawhite with an EE, I say Austra white, because that is what they have to work with.

I ordered eggs on line from a lady in OH, one of the eggs that hatched was this hen...
View attachment 3376951
She was an Ayam Cemani/austra white...
her egg below, was gray.
View attachment 3376956
She laid well until went went broody.
I would guess hen wise they may have bred An Austrawhite with an EE, I say Austra white, because that is what they have to work with.
those are pretty!

Do you have any photos of your Sapphire Jewels? I tried to order one and they said I had to order two. So I ordered two. Then they said the order had to be minimum of eight chicks even for pick up. So I asked if they would put two on hold for me until I could get there. Some guy named Jeff said absolutely not. Not even if I paid the full price of $22.40 each. So they threw them in the bargain bin. Now I have 10 yellow chicks with black specs yellow legs and beards. I would absolutely love to think that I have 10 Sapphire Jewels from the bargain bin. Probably not, but until I know otherwise I’m going to pretend I do. 🤣 So I was just wondering what your checks look like now.

Back
Top Bottom