MicroChips work

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
Just got a call tonight:

"This is the humane society. Someone turned in your cat, Rowdy. "

What's funny is, Rowdy wasn't even missing, as far as we knew. He was cuddling me at 3am last night. Apparently someone saw him out, thought he was lost and turned him in. They said he looked too well cared for to be abandoned, and checked and found his chip with our contact info.

He's home now. Quite unhappy that I'm not letting him out to go rambling around the neighborhood again... Silly kitty.

Good for you for microchipping your cat!! I work in an emergency clinic, and it's amazing how many "found" pets come in to get scanned and there's no chip. It's so easy to do, and saves so much heartache for everyone involved!

Just make sure if / when you move that you update the information!!! That's just as frustrating, maybe even moreso.....

What great news!! I had my two Anatolian Shepherd pups microchipped this past weekend. I was so afraid that big needle (the microchip is the size of a grain of rice) would hurt them but they didn't even notice. The vet and tech did such a great job getting it in REALLY fast and distracting them right after that they did not react at all to it, only loved the attention they were getting.

both my boys are microchipped. I'm glad that you have a HS that actually scans for them. Here, they don't. Seriously, they told me that their policy is only to scan dogs that match descriptions of reported missing dogs. Which is funny because they don't even accept strays??

Plus, you still have to go in and check anyway because "sometimes I will think Bob scanned the dog. And Bob thinks I scanned the dog. So we assume that the dog isn't yours because no one found a chip"
he.gif
:he

We microchip all the animals that come into the rescue. It's cheap and ensures the pet can always be found or claimed as long as the place that finds them scans for a chip. Most places do now.

We just microchipped a tiny kitten and I think the needle was bigger than he was!

I just microchipped one of my Pyrs day before yesterday. My other was already microchipped. My husband tried to talked me out of it. We live so far in the country he says if they did roam away noone would ever check for a microchip, but if there was anything we could do to bring them home and didn't I would forever blame myself.

Chickerdoodle, it cost me $55 to microchip Daisy, but I've been told you can get it done much cheaper than that. What's the deal? I'd like to get my deaf/partially blind dauschund done, as well. I'm worried if he ever did get out of our sight he would have problems finding his way back. I know that when I had Duke's vet records faxed over from the humane society that he we adopted him from the charge for microchipping was only $14!! I couldn't find any vets in this area much cheaper than the $55 I paid mine.

We have a privately funded animal (non profit, 501(c)) shelter in town. Part of the way they raise funds is to have a fully equipped van that set up in parking lots on the weekends and offered basic vet services (heartworm checks, vaccines, nail clipping and microchipping). Profits help support the shelter. They charge only $20 for microchips which I thought was a bargain!!

http://www.careavansc.com/

Glad it worked for you.

By the way, the company that made the micro-chip that the boys have offers a free microchip reader to shelters. If you vet uses the microchips and scanner from AVID, you can ask your vet to select a shelter to receive a free scanner:

http://www.avidid.com/pets/index.html

all of my dogs are chipped...I have a scanner...I ordered the microchips from Jeffers and chipped them myself...the vet charges almost 40 bucks and I can buy the chips for 14.99 or so...they may have gone up by now as it has been a while since I chipped anyone, but still a lot less than the vet would charge...
I know of several dogs who have been found and recovered by their families via the chip...

Our dogs are chipped. They were both shelter dogs and the shelters we adopted them from won't let an animal leave without a chip. Even if it weren't done automatically at the shelter though, I would still have had it done.

Back
Top Bottom