Minnesota!

That's terrible, Do you need more turkey crap?

Do they ever recover from Maraks once they get it?

Do you vaccinate for it now? Can you vaccinate an older bird?

OH I have a huge hole in my bio-security that I have no idea what to do about it.... I have JJ.

JJ is my first slate blue that turned out to be a red, he is a pet. He follows me like a puppy dog. He spends as much time by the door step as he does with the birds. He is the official greeter. as soon as a vehicle pulls into the yard he runs to greet it and the people inside.

The only way to stop this, is lock JJ up. This is not allowed. I had JJ and Ethel locked up to get eggs that were red slates. My wife forced me to release them because they looked sad.

I might have to revert to subterfuge by placing "Beware of turkey, he bites and attacks people" signs in the driveway to keep people from exiting their cars.
yes, I would love some more litter - its the feathers that does it. They have some kind of virus or antibodies to the virus, I forget which, and it is in the feather dander. I wouldn't be able to come meet you for a couple of weeks, it is a little crazy with work and family right now. But please keep me in mind if you are cleaning up anything!

mareks - they can recover and will be carriers of the virus. If you vacinate, your chickens can still get the virus but the vacine prevents the tumors that are the most common part of mareks - causing paralysis or motor problems, blindness, or whatever problems the tumor can create depending on where in the body it is. But, they can still get it and will have weakened immune systems, might not die from mareks but might die from enteritis, or worm or cocci overloads that a healthy bird could throw off.

JJ sounds wonderful! You know, the only issue is if, and it is a big if, someone has some kind of stuff on their car. I guess if they came from somewhere that had chickens or turkeys or some kind of fowl, I would be more worried. Or if someone like me thoughtlessly came to see you - they say lots of people have mareks and don't talk about it or admit, and still show their birds, and go to swaps, etc etc. Kind of hard to believe but I guess the world has all kinds.

Last edited:
yes, I would love some more litter - its the feathers that does it. They have some kind of virus or antibodies to the virus, I forget which, and it is in the feather dander. I wouldn't be able to come meet you for a couple of weeks, it is a little crazy with work and family right now. But please keep me in mind if you are cleaning up anything!

JJ sounds wonderful! You know, the only issue is if, and it is a big if, someone has some kind of stuff on their car. I guess if they came from somewhere that had chickens or turkeys or some kind of fowl, I would be more worried. Or if someone like me thoughtlessly came to see you - they say lots of people have mareks and don't talk about it or admit, and still show their birds, and go to swaps, etc etc. Kind of hard to believe but I guess the world has all kinds.

Nothing personal but your one of my Walmart friends.....

I will keep you in mind when I pick up turkey stuff. I have 4 in a small pen with 3 chickens and Bert ( when he is better) but I can pick the feathers for you. As they start to set there will be lots, for some reason my turkeys seem to lose a lot of feathers during broody time. They look "haggard" to me when they bring me the chicks.

I really would like to show you all my stuff, BUT even with turkeys I am slightly nervous about getting Maraks.

Last edited:
Is coccidiosis breed specific? All of our birds are healthy, we just had an incident last week where only 3/4 of our faverolles were affected. They looked like they were choking and gasping for air and when I massaged their crops, they threw up water constantly.
that sure doesn't sound like cocci to me, but cocci is something all chickens are vulnerable to - most common symptom is bloody poop. Hope they are better now....

Ralphie: The incubator I want you to get would put that turkey at about $200. You do drive an appealling bargain though. Ha!

Oh I hope all stays well in my little secluded part of the woods. I feel I have a bit of a buffer for some of this AI misery but maybe I'm just fooling myself. What can a person do though?

LaLa...that whole Marek's mess just makes me sad for you and your flock. I'm sure you feel alone in that whole riga-maro. Keep trudging away though. So sorry your CCLs are so susceptible to it. I have my fingers crossed for my own flock. Chicken problems are not fun problems.

What a gorgeous weekend we had and today isn't looking too shabby either.

Have a good one folks.
thanks, Bogtown. There is a very active thread for peole with mareks in the their flocks, and we commiserate alot, and trade ideas too. I am lucky, believe it or not, because the strain my flock has isn't too virulent. Some end up with 90% mortality.

Nothing personal but your one of my Walmart friends.....

I will keep you in mind when I pick up turkey stuff. I have 4 in a small pen with 3 chickens and Bert ( when he is better) but I can pick the feathers for you. As they start to set there will be lots, for some reason my turkeys seem to lose a lot of feathers during broody time. They look "haggard" to me when they bring me the chicks.

I really would like to show you all my stuff, BUT even with turkeys I am slightly nervous about getting Maraks.
thanks, Ralphie. don't take this wrong, either, but I wouldn't dream of coming to your place. Would not forgive myself!

Ralph I have come to think that there is a way to make hens go broody. Put ur hen and chicks in the coop!! I did this and they stay there now but I now have another broody!!!

Yeah, my sis and niece keep asking me how I can even consider chickens with the AI in this state and I said that 1. The birds will be coming from where there have been NO confirmed cases. 2. I intend to practice good bio security with dedicated coop clothing. I will allow my sis into the coop since she is non poultry (but she likes them) not sure her daughter even wants to touch a chicken. 3. I want chickens, I am not going to let the boogie man stop me. (I think we can all relate to #3)

PPS: ALL my birds will arrive vaccinated for everything but AI. Maybe something will be discovered but for now I hear it mutates way to fast and is making a vaccine next to impossible to develop.

Is coccidiosis breed specific? All of our birds are healthy, we just had an incident last week where only 3/4 of our faverolles were affected. They looked like they were choking and gasping for air and when I massaged their crops, they threw up water constantly.
If they have fluid in their crop and you apply any pressure to it, they will aspirate that fluid, sick or not.

All this talk about trash found on property... I know it is 1. An old farmer habit to dump trash on their own property. 2. An old farmer habit to never throw anything they "might" be able to reuse for some reason or other, even if it is broken. That goes in the "maybe trash/maybe not pile. My grandparents on my Dad's side of the family had a huge trash pile that was in the trees behind the outhouse. Ran along the west side between the yard and the oat field. In those days they grew oats, hay, and wheat. Only enough corn to feed the dairy cows. They had a huge vegetable garden.All milking was done by hand and we had 2 beautiful matched Percheron that were black with a star. Prince and Colonel.
I remember when I moved in here it took 2 weeks, lots of help and a huge Dumpster to clean up all the stuff my grandfather refused to part with. We still have lots of ancient tools, an old pump and an old "pink" toilet. I am going to fill the toilet with dirt and use it as a planter near the coop. Tried to get rid of it and no one will haul it away, so getting creative.

Back
Top Bottom