Minnesota!

Hey,
We took the red rangers up to brainerd to Nelson Shine processing, got them all back frozen in plastic bags. Anyone know if I need to brine them before cooking? Maybe thaw them and let them rest for a day or two?

I hate to waste one trying to figure it out!

Brining is good but not necessary. Yes, let them thaw in the refrigerator at least overnight or two days. I do them for overnight then brine for 24-hours. The brining helps them to stay juicy. You can do a plain brine of water with salt, or add herbs, seasonings and so forth with the salt. Make sure the vessel you brine in is big enough so the whole bird is submerged and keep refrigerated.
How did they dress out for you? I did a dozen Buckeye cockerels that were about 6-months and they dressed at just under 5-5# each. Lots of dark meat on those.

Thanks, Minnie.
I was terribly disappointed - the very largest was under 5 lbs. and most were just a little over 4. I had broiler feed (mash from the local mill) in front of them 24/7 and they were 13 weeks old, supposedly ready for processing at 12 weeks.

Not sure where I went wrong, they should have been 5-6 pounds.

But, I am very happy to be done with the chores for them. The hoop coop was not conveniently located as far as water and feed, and the constant adjusting of the tarps took a lot of time with all the storms we had this summer.

I have the livers and hearts, which will will feed back to my flock. Molt seems to have started early this year!

I have yet to do 'meat birds' other than the excess roosters from the straight runs and egg hatching. I'm wanting to try it at some point, but we have a seasonal business that keeps us pretty busy all summer. wondering, with MN winter coming not so far away, does anyone do a late summer chick purchase for an autumn processing? it would work better for our season, but not sure how the chicks would do?

I have yet to do 'meat birds' other than the excess roosters from the straight runs and egg hatching. I'm wanting to try it at some point, but we have a seasonal business that keeps us pretty busy all summer. wondering, with MN winter coming not so far away, does anyone do a late summer chick purchase for an autumn processing? it would work better for our season, but not sure how the chicks would do?

I have 38 CRX that are to go in on October 10th for processing. I have done fall meaties one other time and they turn out fine, but I think the Spring and Summer grown ones turn out a bit bigger.

Hello everyone - thought I would share a photo of a couple of last minute additions to the flock.

Hope everyone is well. :)

Back
Top Bottom