Miscellaneous Meeps - Hatching my Dreams

Pics
Lockdown day is TOMORROW! Ok, it's not Day 18 but I do it in the evening of Day 17 1/2 😉 this has become my standard lockdown timing as some of these silkies get in a hurry to hatch. Last time I had a bantam Ameraucana hatch even earlier than the first silkie!

Lockdown day is coming, go eggies GO!!!

GIF by Paul Robertson

Not anything too major, considering I can't quite remember what I had. I do think I had a nice bruise, and some minor bleeding, nothing serious though. It hurt mostly momentarily, then it was fine. I don't wear boots, only an old pair of sneakers, so my leg didn't have much protection.

I have been thinking of getting some "chore" boots, but to be honest, I don't think I'll use them much for the reasons you stated.

Just imagining the tiny guy trying to attack you is making me laugh🤣

Glad you weren't hurt too seriously! Yeah, the knee-high boots are pretty miserable in the heat. My legs are nothing but sweat in them in the summer, so I switch to sandals... even though that kinda leaves my legs and feet vulnerable to curious pecks and mean little fuzzballs 😅

It is pretty funny, a small, round fluff jumping through the air at you 🤣 Wish he'd stop, though!! :tongue

I had one that I thought would get aggressive and he's just sweet, another I thought would be my little buddy forever and he's got a bad attitude now.

Hmm, do you think some roosters have a little switch so once something flips it they're flipped for life? How much reason is in their mind versus just instinct and hormones?

Ugh, it's so hard with 50% boys hatching and no one wants the boys. I am hoping I can find all the boys I hatch and don't need new homes, but I also know that's not likely.

I have no idea what it is that makes them flip. I've heard that some have had success retraining their boys, but I never have, personally, no matter what I try. :idunno

That's my least favorite part of hatching, too, dealing with all the cockerels I can't keep. Especially when they're such sweet boys. 🙁

Lockdown day is TOMORROW! Ok, it's not Day 18 but I do it in the evening of Day 17 1/2 😉 this has become my standard lockdown timing as some of these silkies get in a hurry to hatch. Last time I had a bantam Ameraucana hatch even earlier than the first silkie!

Excited to see babies!! :pop

Yeah, my OEGBs were frequently internally pipping at day 18, and my Cochin bantams sometimes are already drawing down at day 18 by the time I'm candling them before moving them to lock down. :th

Back
Top Bottom