Elliceee

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
What does this mean?!

Attachments

• IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 24
That could be a sign of infection, but is more likely just an egg that wasn’t laid getting laid with the next day’s egg. Could also be lash.

Is it rubbery or with a hard shell?

To me it looks like a lash egg. If it's rubbery can you cut it open and post a picture of it opened up?
It’s not rubbery. Not a lash egg. I’ve had one of those before with a different hen. It feels like a normal egg it’s just… this shape.

Is it rubbery or with a hard shell?

To me it looks like a lash egg. If it's rubbery can you cut it open and post a picture of it opened up?
It isn’t rubbery. I’ve had a hen (not this one) lay a lash egg before and this seems different. It feels hard like a normal egg.
None of my hens have been showing any obvious signs of anything wrong.

It isn’t rubbery. I’ve had a hen (not this one) lay a lash egg before and this seems different. It feels hard like a normal egg.
None of my hens have been showing any obvious signs of anything wrong.

Interesting.
I am still curious what's inside.
If it's yolk and whites then I wouldn't worry at all.

Interesting.
I am still curious what's inside.
If it's yolk and whites then I wouldn't worry at all.
It was mostly, if not all, whites. It was hard to tell though.
But all are acting and laying normal now!
One of my barred rock hens, Poppy, gets very, very easily stressed and has trouble adjusting to any change at all. I had recently adjusted their sleeping space for the warmer weather and Poppy very vocally protested the whole time (as in she stood there screaming at me the whole time while the other chickens were across the yard doing what they do). Honestly she’s gotten stressed before and stopped laying for a bit, then lays a fairy egg and goes back to (her) normal. This seems kinda like that.
Sorry if that’s TMI! Just the only context I have and hopefully helpful for anyone else who experiences a misshapen egg fusion thingy!

What is the age of the bird?

Looks like a possible hiccup of a funky shaped membrane that didn't detach or form correctly and got calcium coated. The insides still have to tell their story before any conclusion can be considered.

There's a cool video in the following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
The insides where mostly, if not all, whites. Also seemed more watery? It was hard to tell. I should have photographed next to my thumb for size context but it was small.
She’s probably 2 and a half years old. I don’t know exactly as I kind of absorbed her from a friend of a friend and there was a language hurdle.
This hen in particular gets very stressed with any change, even if it’s just the seasonal weather shifts, and will stop laying, then lay a fairy egg and go back to (her) normal. I suspect this was something like that. The whole flock is back to laying and acting their normal selves.

Back
Top Bottom