Missing Chicken :'(

SunriseChickers

Feather Fluffer
5 Years
Nov 12, 2018
Ohio
So tonight, around 9, I went out to put away my six girls. Usually there are a couple on the saw horses from last year's construction of the big coop, one or two on the top of the little coop, and one or two inside the little coop. Tonight there were four perched on the saw horse, one in the coop, but my feisty Sunset was not in her usual spot on top of the coop. I looked around the house and pen for her, but there was nothing. I put the five into the big coop and left the gate open s bit, just in case, hen went to the house to recruit some help. We got back inside at about 10:10, no luck. We have ten acres and they usually stay up front. My dad and I, just the two of us, searched most of the ten acres but had to stop. We were far from their usual grounds anyways. We looked up the sides of our usually quiet country road, but nothing. We seared everywhere and not a trace. I think a predator would have left something, or at least riled the others up unless she was quietly assassinated somewhere away from them. Could she have wandered of for some reason? I'm not really hopeful, but this is an event - even if not a good one - and I thought I'd share, I guess.

I live in North Eastern USA, it's been dark quite a while. I got out late, so we were searching with flashlights.

It's possible a predator got her but she may have found a hiding place because it was dark. You'll probably have to go search for her when it gets light out.

Wait for her to show up.If she doesn’t in a week or so, don’t count on her coming back. My chicken went missing and we found her. Hope same goes to you. Good luck!

How old is sge? Is she laying? Could she be hiding on a nest somewhere? I hope you find her! But in answer to your question, sometimes a bird disappears without a trace. Depends on the predator and location the bird gets nabbed.

So tonight, around 9, I went out to put away my six girls. Usually there are a couple on the saw horses from last year's construction of the big coop, one or two on the top of the little coop, and one or two inside the little coop. Tonight there were four perched on the saw horse, one in the coop, but my feisty Sunset was not in her usual spot on top of the coop. I looked around the house and pen for her, but there was nothing. I put the five into the big coop and left the gate open s bit, just in case, hen went to the house to recruit some help. We got back inside at about 10:10, no luck. We have ten acres and they usually stay up front. My dad and I, just the two of us, searched most of the ten acres but had to stop. We were far from their usual grounds anyways. We looked up the sides of our usually quiet country road, but nothing. We seared everywhere and not a trace. I think a predator would have left something, or at least riled the others up unless she was quietly assassinated somewhere away from them. Could she have wandered of for some reason? I'm not really hopeful, but this is an event - even if not a good one - and I thought I'd share, I guess.
Did you happen to look in the trees? I found mine there once.

Wait for her to show up.If she doesn’t in a week or so, don’t count on her coming back. My chicken went missing and we found her. Hope same goes to you. Good luck!
Yeah, a week was going to be it.

How old is she? Is she laying? Could she be hiding on a nest somewhere? I hope you find her! But in answer to your question, sometimes a bird disappears without a trace. Depends on the predator and location the bird gets nabbed.
They are all almost a year and a half old, I checked all the nests. I thought it must be a predator, bud with no trace I was skeptical. What kind of predators can pull off a clean assassination? :confused:

Did you happen to look in the trees? I found mine there once.
No! My dad asked if she could be up in the trees and I said no. Most of our trees are smaller therefore have smaller, harder to grip branches that I was sure to be too small for them to stand on. But if she were in a tree she would have returned by now, right? We got back from church and shopping a while ago, and I went to go look. Still nothing.

Yeah, a week was going to be it.

They are all almost a year and a half old, I checked all the nests. I thought it must be a predator, bud with no trace I was skeptical. What kind of predators can pull off a clean assassination? :confused:

No! My dad asked if she could be up in the trees and I said no. Most of our trees are smaller therefore have smaller, harder to grip branches that I was sure to be too small for them to stand on. But if she were in a tree she would have returned by now, right? We got back from church and shopping a while ago, and I went to go look. Still nothing.
I’m so sorry about Sunset. I really hope she comes back for you. What breed is she? Depending on what breed she is will depend on whether she has a nest somewhere. I hope this is helpful

Back
Top Bottom