Missing feathers

4Duckssofar

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Hi everyone, can anyone help with what (if anything) could be wrong with my drake Thomas. He has missing feathers on his face (see pictures) and I can’t work out why?! He is my special boy and my only drake, he’s had such a tough time lately with a prolapse that ended up with a trip to the vets. Just wanted some advice/information about what this is. Hope someone can help.

Attachments

• 03E04C7D-BB95-45BC-8738-F7A9DF3F1584.jpeg
    03E04C7D-BB95-45BC-8738-F7A9DF3F1584.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0C791562-D1B8-4471-B235-B4BD782D9591.jpeg
    0C791562-D1B8-4471-B235-B4BD782D9591.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 3
Sorry to hear Thomas is having a rough time. In my personal experience, ducks shove their beaks anywhere they think there might be a tasty bug to eat. I've also seen my males bloody their beaks trying to get to the females thru fencing. Is he free range?
Is he itchy at all? they have sharp toe nails and maybe he is itching the area?

Sorry to hear Thomas is having a rough time. In my personal experience, ducks shove their beaks anywhere they think there might be a tasty bug to eat. I've also seen my males bloody their beaks trying to get to the females thru fencing. Is he free range?
Is he itchy at all? they have sharp toe nails and maybe he
Is he itchy at all? they have sharp toe nails and maybe he is itching the area?
He lives in a pen with his 5 girls, they have a large pond so he can keep himself clean. He does free range for a few hours each day or whenever im home. He doesn’t seem to be scratching it anymore than he normally would with the usual preening. I just hate to think that maybe there is something wrong and I missed it. ☹️

If he is eating and acting normal otherwise and no other flock members have issues id just keep an eye on him. Watch him and see where he goes to free range. See what he might be bug hunting under. It doesn't look red or infected. But I'd definitely wonder too so I'd follow him for a bit see what he shows you.

Back
Top Bottom