Mission Fowl

saladin

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
the South
I was raised on the family farm in Tenn. Back in 2000 I started working with a mission in Cambodia. We took in hundreds of chicken and quail hatching eggs. Local pastors would come to the farm where Bible classes were taught in the morning and sustainable ag. classes in the afternoon. Following a one week retreat they returned to their villages with hatching eggs and op seeds. We have continued a relationship with Cambodia through the years.

Anyone else utilize fowl as a way to witness the love of Christ? saladin

Very good story, excellant way to use fowl to tell people about christ. That is a good way to help the people and at the same time teach them about God. We need more people like you.

Matt

Last edited:
Matt,
A large part of our plan was to make sure the people did not become dependent on us: that happened in the past before Polpot and his band of murdering communists.

The reason we are having to teaching basic farming techniques to rural people is because Polpot basically murdered and entire generation. The house church movement is growing rapidly in Cambodia as people come to see the bondage of ancestor worship. However, many new believers often lose their jobs and are even cutoff from family members; so, it becomes vitally important to help them to make a living through sustainable agriculture.

All this said, while there I have also worked with non-believers to improve their agricultural practices as well. We will help whoever needs it whether they come to believe or not.
saladin

My dad just got back from doing a mission in Peru building churches, I told him to take some chicken pics for me while he was there out of curiosity. I know chickens are very important to poor, or rural communities, they serve many purposes. A quality flock of fowl can mean life or death in some cases.

That is exactly right cuda. Most of the rural village chickens can use improvement for both egg laying and meat production. The exception to the rule is the Games found withing the villages. However, in Cambodia we even bred the Games (Malay type) with our dual purpose breeds to give the dual purpose breeds more stamina in such a harch environment. The people themselves keep their Games pure; so we didn't have to worry about that.

Forgot to mention:

While working in Cambodia the WHO informed us that 1 egg a day in the diet of the average Cambodian would increase their life expectancy by 10 years. With each family that we left chickens I always looked at the children: knowing I had helped to potentially lengthen their lives by a decade.

However, many new believers often lose their jobs and are even cutoff from family members; so, it becomes vitally important to help them to make a living through sustainable agriculture.

All this said, while there I have also worked with non-believers to improve their agricultural practices as well. We will help whoever needs it whether they come to believe or not.

saladin

That is very true, it is part of beliving in Christ to love even the ones that don't agree with you. I know a couple people that are afraid to give there life to Jesus, because of their own familys back in there home country.

My dad just got back from doing a mission in Peru building churches, I told him to take some chicken pics for me while he was there out of curiosity. I know chickens are very important to poor, or rural communities, they serve many purposes. A quality flock of fowl can mean life or death in some cases.

I have read your dads blog some it is cool. Chickens are very important to the poor, they are a excellant food source.​

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Actually worked with the Minister of Ag and their University to show them how to best grow tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom