Mites Mites Mites

deputygeorge

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2018
Every time i go into the coop, something is eating me up when i get out. I dust with dia earth and no help. I think they are mites
but to small to see. Chickens don't seem to be bothered with them though. What Gives?

Every time i go into the coop, something is eating me up when i get out. I dust with dia earth and no help. I think they are mites
but to small to see. Chickens don't seem to be bothered with them though. What Gives?
Have you examined the birds skin to see if they are infested? You can see mites, you just have to look closely.
DE won't do anything to treat a mite/lice infestation. You need permethrin or Elector PSP.

EE5E44FB-0718-41A5-B9CF-DAC4999D0BE6.jpeg
Hello, hope you don’t mind me jumping in this thread. One of my ladies was on my lap & I take this as an opp to give them a gentle check over. Noticed these specs on the feathers on their bottom area. Are they mites? Nothing moving & cant see the specs on any other feathers. DE in dust bath & little in coop. Can’t see any clumps at base of feathers or moving mites. Wasn’t sure if it’s the result of an over zealous dust bath? Sometimes when they’re done they come up to me with clumps and bits of soil under their feathers.

Noticed these specs on the feathers on their bottom area. Are they mites? Nothing moving & cant see the specs on any other feathers. DE in dust bath & little in coop. Can’t see any clumps at base of feathers or moving mites. Wasn’t sure if it’s the result of an over zealous dust bath?

Looks like dirt from dust bathing, especially with how it's all rubbed into the feathers like that. Mites should move in reaction to light. They're also more likely to be on the skin rather than feathers (they can be on feathers, but you'd see the concentration on skin because that's where they'd draw blood).

Back
Top Bottom