mites

jmason

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 23, 2007
hello everyone. I just discovered that my hens have
mites, gross. My problem is how to treat. My
vet is looking into it. But I didn't know what I
could use to clean their coop with. the vet was worried about using harsh chemicals. The coop of course is made out of wood. I also don't know how to prevent any further infestation? Ihave a whole woods full of chipmunks, etc that get into the coop (I'm sure those little critters are
full with mites and who knows what else). Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

I have had luck using budgerigar mite spray when the feed store was closed!!! My 16 year old hen had a really bad case of mite infestation, it is really deadly for them, they suck their blood and drain all their energy.
You may need to give some protein supps like cat food etc. I must say that I dont use chemicals unless its really necessary but in your case I think it may be!!
Boiling hot water bucketed through the coop and on perches can help, but dry it before the girls go in to sleep.
good luck

clean coop thoroghly before you begin with what ever treatment...ensure NO bedding or water etc is in area to be sprayed...you can use a permethrin/pyrethrin based spray (the one I use is for my carpet)...

Last edited:
if you're willing to try organic...here is what I would do...

Clean out the coop of all shavings/bedding.
Spray orange oil all on anything porous like wood.
put in clean bedding
Add food grade diatomaceous earth (DE)to the bedding (including nest boxes)
Also add DE to their favorite dusting areas
Dust DE on chickens (easiest done after dark when chickens are calm and easy to catch).

Orange oil available at Ace hardware store (in the gardening/pesticide section) or at health food stores.

Make sure DE is food grade (less than 1%silica).

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom