Mites?

Summerbirds

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
Hello, I have a 4 year old hen that started to seem tired and a bit sickly. Last night she didn’t roost and instead slept in the nesting box. Today I examined her to see if there was something wrong. She had a poopy butt and when I went to clean it I noticed little bugs running around on her skin. I found more as I looked further. Is this mites? What is the best treatment?
CE6A2FC7-3953-42BA-B52D-EE367F6296E2.jpeg

Yes, that is mites.

You'll want to get 10% concentrate of permethrin spray. TSC carries it. It's the only thing that works. I've done it all, DE dusting, baths, everything. Only the permethrin gets rid of the mites. Mix up the permethrin with the dilution rates on the back of the bottle. Get a spray bottle, and do a couple quick sprays in the butt fluff area, under the wings, and on the neck. Spray down the coop too, replace the bedding.

7 days later, repeat. A week after that, check the birds and anyone who still has them just give them a quick spray.

Wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans as well as a mask and gloves. It won't kill you but it isn't good for you either.

There is no egg withdrawal, just wash the eggs with a damp paper towel before consumption.

Hello, I have a 4 year old hen that started to seem tired and a bit sickly. Last night she didn’t roost and instead slept in the nesting box. Today I examined her to see if there was something wrong. She had a poopy butt and when I went to clean it I noticed little bugs running around on her skin. I found more as I looked further. Is this mites? What is the best treatment?View attachment 2320934
I can’t tell if that is mites 100% but if it is use Permethrin 13%. I will attach photo. Spray the birds and the coop and the run. Then repeat in 7-10 days.

Attachments

• 6146C8BD-76FF-4C83-829B-6DAA668BECF1.png
    6146C8BD-76FF-4C83-829B-6DAA668BECF1.png
    683.3 KB · Views: 1
  • C903E922-266A-4D85-A7F7-0E4CBF78ABE8.png
    C903E922-266A-4D85-A7F7-0E4CBF78ABE8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for the responses, I’ve sprayed the coop and the hen that had it really bad. Unfortunately she didn’t make it. :( I’m not sure if it was the mites, she was getting weak and had other issues earlier this year.

Thanks for the responses, I’ve sprayed the coop and the hen that had it really bad. Unfortunately she didn’t make it. :( I’m not sure if it was the mites, she was getting weak and had other issues earlier this year.
Oh man! I am so sorry. Did you take a really good look at her like a mini necropsy there at home or think about sending her off? What do you think got her? Maybe the excessive heat? I know it was terrible where I live and it has really tested my chicks. Luckily they were only younger chicks. I don’t think they would have made it if they were full grown and fully feathered out and really heavy weights as they will be next year. I’m going to have to get a couple poultry fans before another real hot ones like this summer comes. They won’t be able to take it full grown because they are going to be really big girls. Orpingtons and Swedish Flower hens and Creme Legbars- but they last ones will be okay. Good luck on your flock and I sure am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom