mix up at the co-op!! what breeds are these little guys

Littlefox26

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Amelia VA
So I went to our local co-op to get chicks (possibly a little early in the year). I was supposed to have gotten 6 buff orpington 4 wyandott and 2 bard rock. Well... I have a bunch of something's I know there is at least 3 buff orpington and 1 wyandott. They are about a month old I think so I'm not sure how easy it is to tell what they are. Did I get what I wanted or something else?

I have no idea what they are, but are they going to get out of your brooder?? Mine or only a week to two weeks old and they are already fluttering around, had to put a lid on. Hope yours stay in!

Lol at this point they like to hop out and run around my office. Its totaly ineffective besides keeping the mess minimal. My husband was supposed to build a brooder box but again I got ahead of him. Im new to chickens, my parents raised them when I was small but I dont remember a lot. When is a normal age to introduce them to an existing flock? I have 6 hens and a roster already.

It's tough to tell when they have their "teenager" feathering, but it looks like you've got 1 barred rock (the black and white striped one), a few buff orpington's (the yellow-gold ones), and perhaps a Rhode Island red (the reddish one). It appears that 4 of them have white ear lobes, which is characteristic of white egg layers. They look like they might be brown leghorns.

As far as introducing them to an existing, mature flock, I usually wait until the chicks are 13 to 16 weeks old. At that point they're close to the same size as the older flock members, and are usually able to defend themselves or escape from the older birds.

So I went to our local co-op to get chicks (possibly a little early in the year). I was supposed to have gotten 6 buff orpington 4 wyandott and 2 bard rock. Well... I have a bunch of something's I know there is at least 3 buff orpington and 1 wyandott. They are about a month old I think so I'm not sure how easy it is to tell what they are. Did I get what I wanted or something else?
I spy with my little eye...
2 barred rock
4 wyandotte (silver laced I think, color of pic is a little off)
5 Bo and one red sex link

Back
Top Bottom