Mixed flock ages; no eggs

RobinClary

Hatching
Nov 13, 2019
I inherited a flock 2 years ago. There are 5 hens 3-4 years old, and we've supplemented another seven over the last few months (Sept-December). I have a rooster. At first the hens laid lots of eggs; then we went into our first winter (they were 2 years old) and they slowed down. The following spring, they laid only sporadically. The younger birds are about 5-7 months old (two were laying when I got them a 6 weeks ago). The older birds had slowed down (again) for the winter, maybe just an egg a week. Now it seems no one is laying.

The birds all free range. They get layer pellets and scratch grain daily; I grind up their egg shells and feed them back, and they get dairy occasionally (milk, cheese, cottage cheese).

I check the nest boxes and barn a couple times a day. I had found one nest behind a hay feeder which had 5 eggs in it. After I took them, the hen stopped laying there. I don't supplement with light, but there are two windows in the coop, so they get daylight as soon as it dawns.

I also have 8 guinea fowl, a few sheep, a couple donkeys, and a Great Pyr who is still young and in the kennel while the birds are out, and out while the birds are cooped!

It's possible that something is getting them, as we regularly catch possums, but because I check often, I'd think I'd thwart the alleged thief occasionally!

I live in Georgia, south of Atlanta.

I'm wondering what I can do to help the hens pick up the production. Do I need to supplement their diet? Should I keep them more confined? Help! Thanks!

Should I keep them more confined?
That's the first thing I would change(see below)...
...and maybe cut out the scratch.
What is the protein level of the layer feed?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom