MIXING WEST COAST HARLEQUIN (SMALL DUCKS) WITH PEKING

Evolvingspirit

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
Been having predator problems on my daughter's side where she has 2 piggies. So she is done with her ducks. Something injured one ducky, and he seemed to be in pain and could barely walk... so we had to put him out of his misery.

So today I got her 2 Pekin ducks. My ducky pen is about 12 ft long and about 7 foot wide and well protected with underground and side hardware cloth up to the top of what used to be a dog pen.

So today the new pekins were placed in the open area. I have 1 male and 3 female Harlequins. The male started bothering the pekins but after awhile things settled down and the Pekins stayed by themselves.
The problem came when I put them all together in the pen for the night. The male Harlequin was harrasing the necks of the Pekins. So I removed the male from the cage. Then the big females started bothering and chasing the smaller ones around. The smaller ones were not chill like they normally are, and wouldn't sit down. Seems like they are not happy and maybe stressed. So now what do I do? Can they live together?
Can I put the male Harlequin back in the pen?

I LOVE MY DUCKIES

How old are the Pekins? drakes should not have access to females not of breeding age which usually start around age 4 months and up. The best way to get the rest to co habit is to put up temporary fencing and keep them separated but side by side. You may have to use a large dog crate inside for a while until the WH get used to the Pekins and accept them.
Keep them separate but give them time together with supervision. It may not take much time for the females to accept them. This time of year all adult ducks are very hormonal and that means tempers are at a high too.

How old are the Pekins? drakes should not have access to females not of breeding age which usually start around age 4 months and up. The best way to get the rest to co habit is to put up temporary fencing and keep them separated but side by side. You may have to use a large dog crate inside for a while until the WH get used to the Pekins and accept them.
Keep them separate but give them time together with supervision. It may not take much time for the females to accept them. This time of year all adult ducks are very hormonal and that means tempers are at a high too.
Thank you so much. The pekins, I think female maybe are about 2 years old. I have a dog crate. Do you think I should put them in it in the duck pen for 2 weeks or so, or better off, right out side the pen where the WH ca. See them?

Once again thank you so much

If they are being picked on at night let them(Pekins) sleep in it that way they are still in the coop but all will settle down. If you can split the run so everyone can see each other that would be best and only use the crate for sleeping. Actually once the girls start liking each other Mr Drake could sleep in the dog crate at night that way he’d still be close to everyone. If I have to separate because of newbies or new hatchlings I use plastic poultry fencing or a dog xpen to keep the newbies from being picked on but they are still with everyone.

If they are being picked on at night let them(Pekins) sleep in it that way they are still in the coop but all will settle down. If you can split the run so everyone can see each other that would be best and only use the crate for sleeping. Actually once the girls start liking each other Mr Drake could sleep in the dog crate at night that way he’d still be close to everyone. If I have to separate because of newbies or new hatchlings I use plastic poultry fencing or a dog xpen to keep the newbies from being picked on but they are still with everyone.
Thank you so much

Let us know how things are going.
Thank you Miss Lydia. At night I have the pekins in a dog cage in the coop with the other duckies. The other duckies are calmer. The pekings don't know this is their new ho e yet. They don't like to be picked up, but over time I hope to gain their trust. When they first get outside they chase and try to mount the small females, but I hope this will settle down. Can't watch them much cause I have to work, but when I come home the pekins are by themselves. So we'll see what happens.
Thank you,

Stewart

There are going to be some dominant issues but as long as no one is getting their feather ripped out and not getting injured try and let them work it out.

Back
Top Bottom