MJ's little flock

Well then, here's this morning's teacup. It's a reproduction of the teaset used by Charles Dickens's family when they lived in Bloomsbury. Their house is now a museum and it's up the street from where I usually stay. I noticex it on one visit, stopped by when it was closed on the next visit, and finally, the visit after that, I got there with 10 minutes to spare before closing, which was just enough time to buy something from their shop. And that's how the teacup came to be in this photo today. I still haven't been able to go through the museum properly :barnie maybe next time...

View attachment 2204373
I know I'm a bit behind, but please educate me on this :) .. Does the strainer go over the cup to strain loose leaves or do the loose leave go in it and then set in an open pot or cup to steep. I've never seen this design . It's very pretty. It looks to be Stainless steel ??

Mostly builders, like my Pop taught me :D at present Yorkshire Proper Strong for the daily drip feed (good terminology!) and something called Lipton Quality Tips for the weekend breakfast ritual.

I've had very good PG Tips in the UK but in Australia the flavour is much flatter.

And I'm yet to decline a green tea after asian food.

I'm not into the herbals or florals.
Have you ever tried Lady Grey? It's decaf so the Caff sensitive can have it before bed.. It's also lighter and more mellow than Earl Grey..

Hmmm i daresay you've tried good tea too, as in made with fresh water and allowed to steep for as long as it takes but no longer.

I feel that way about coffee and many times coffee drinkers have tried to persuade me to love coffee. I've tried coffee three times (a horrid instant, a cappuccino, and a latte) but all three were unpleasant.

I take my tea so seriously that I was delighted when I ordered tea at a cafe on Monday and it came with an egg timer - made my day!
It's interesting the different ways people make tea.. The Irish folks we shared time with on a Scout trip keep a pot on the stove all day and just kept adding bags until it was time to dump and repeat.. Actually the ancient Canadian relatives I visited (wood stove in the kitchen-loved that kitchen :) ) did tea the same way. Came out a dark as coffee. I just plop a bag in the mug and nuke it (so sad and sinfull I know - LOL)

Last edited:
I know I'm a bit behind, but please educate me on this :) .. Does the strainer go over the cup to strain loose leaves or do the loose leave go in it and then set in an open pot or cup to steep. I've never seen this design . It's very pretty. It looks to be Stainless steel ??
The strainer sits on top of the cup to catch the leaves as they fall from the teapot. Even so, some tiny leaves fall through so I never drink the last mouthful. Leaving the last little puddle of tea in the cup with the fine leaves is part of the experience.

Yes, the strainer is stainless steel.

Last edited:
It's interesting the different ways people make tea.. The Irish folks we shared time with on a Scout trip us to keep a pot on the stove all day and just kept adding bags until it was time to dump and repeat.. Actually the ancient Canadian relatives I visited (wood stove in the kitchen-loved that kitchen :) ) did tea the same way. Came out a dark as coffee. I just plop a bag in the mug and nuke it (so sad and sinfull I know - LOL)
I've been known to warm a cup of already brewed tea in the microwave but I'd have thought brewing it in the microwave would mess up the flavour. I'll have to try it for myself.

Back
Top Bottom