MJ's little flock

My latest thought is a half-floor at hip/waist height (really more of a poop catcher). It'd be easier to reach across when cleaning out, but the hens would be protected from the rain and wind by full sized walls and roof, and the food and water hanging underneath won't get pooped in.
I would need to see this. I can't picture what you are describing.

I would need to see this. I can't picture what you are describing.
I'm slightly reluctant to share this floor plan because, as I mentioned above, it's an incomplete concept.

It also omits much detail. You can see the (D) in the upper left corner. Floor plan sketches A, B & C also form part of the concept but they're not shown here as they don't shed any light that will show Bob the half-floor idea.

IMG_2021-06-28-10-36-40-237.jpg

The circles are the tree stump staircase the hens will climb to reach the perch, floor and roost.

Before anyone points it out, the roost will be a tree branch. The people who provide firewood are going to let me choose from some branches.

I'm slightly reluctant to share this floor plan because, as I mentioned above, it's an incomplete concept.

It also omits much detail. You can see the (D) in the upper left corner. Floor plan sketches A, B & C also form part of the concept but they're not shown here as they don't shed any light that will show Bob the half-floor idea.

View attachment 2737824

The circles are the tree stump staircase the hens will climb to reach the perch, floor and roost.

Before anyone points it out, the roost will be a tree branch. The people who provide firewood are going to let me choose from some branches.
I think I get it now. I believe that this might work pretty well. Have you drawn the other dimension yet.

I think I get it now. I believe that this might work pretty well. Have you drawn the other dimension yet.
Yes, but incompletely because I've had ideas since finishing it.

In the drawing above you can see the walls extend forward beyond the floor. What is your opinion: do the walls need to go all the way down or only to the floor level (creating a breezeway under the floor for summer)?

Yes, but incompletely because I've had ideas since finishing it.

In the drawing above you can see the walls extend forward beyond the floor. What is your opinion: do the walls need to go all the way down or only to the floor level (creating a breezeway under the floor for summer)?
What is the coldest it ever gets?

What is the coldest it ever gets?
Almost never below freezing. 2-4 Celsius is usually as bad as it gets, eg, tonight the minimum is forecast to be 8° Celcius and we're in the depths of winter.

Summer is of greater concern than Winter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom