MJ's little flock

Riddle me this. There are four containers of feed in the funrun, one each. Last night I noticed sparrow poop in one of them so tipped the poop on the ground along with some of the pellets. It got rained on overnight and is now like a mash.

Is anyone eating clean feed from the containers? No.

Is everyone eating feed from the ground? Yes.

Is it more comfy to eat from the ground? Or maybe the softness of the rain-drenched pellets is irresistible? What is going on here?

Last edited:
Here's another riddle.

Mary has started pecking Ivy. I say pecking, but it's more like gentle touches of the beak on Ivy's spotted neck feathers, not all over. Ivy keeps very still for her. It's been going on for about a month.

Is Mary hungry? Does she think the spots are bugs? If so, how long will she keep it up before realising Ivy is not a moving bug smorgasbord? Is it grooming?

Chickens are such puzzles!

Here's another riddle.

Mary has started pecking Ivy. I say pecking, but it's more like gentle touches of the beak on Ivy's spotted neck feathers, not all over. Ivy keeps very still for her. It's been going on for about a month.

Is Mary hungry? Does she think the spots are bugs? If so, how long will she keep it up before realising Ivy is not a moving bug smorgasbord? Is it grooming?

Chickens are such puzzles!
I think it’s grooming, I’ve seen Chickie do that before.

Anyway, here's breakfast for the teacup enthusiasts :)

Janet's eggs on toast, get in my belly!

IMG_2021-07-17-09-41-04-650.jpg

Anyway, here's breakfast for the teacup enthusiasts :)

Janet's eggs on toast, get in my belly!

View attachment 2762706
That is really lovely, MJ! And with my very favourite little milk jug. 🥰 I can't help it. It is just adorable & I get a jolt of pleasure every time you display it.

Riddle me this. There are four containers of feed in the funrun, one each. Last night I noticed sparrow poop in one of them so tipped the poop on the ground along with some of the pellets. It got rained on overnight and is now like a mash.

Is anyone eating clean feed from the containers? No.

Is everyone eating feed from the ground? Yes.

Is it more comfy to eat from the ground? Or maybe the softness of the rain-drenched pellets is irresistible? What is going on here?
I think they prefer to eat off the ground cuz it’s like when they forage.. scratching and digging in the dirt for bugs and whatnot... 🤷🏼‍♀️ mine love it when I fling the food out of the feeders for them to enjoy off the ground... they eat it all up!

Back
Top Bottom